Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driv3r

Fidgits

Just incase you were considering buying Driv3r... DONT!

What a waste of money :angry:

I played the orignal many years ago, and thought this would be a nice follow-on..

Firstly, the graphics havent improved much from the PS1 version! the cars are very polygon!

Secondly, the collison mechanics are truely awful! (and i mean awful)..

I've seen cars fall into the road, people bouncing 5 mins after you've killed them because the game cant decide where they should lie.. etc etc...

Its tried to get a GTA3/getaway style 'on foot' as well, which hasnt worked, mainly due to the slow controls... your being shot and it takes forever to turn the guy around and aim.. the controls are just too 'clunky' for a GTA style, and it doesnt have the addtional 'hide' feature that helped getaway..

Every car is RWD... and i dont mean theyre all US muscle cars... no, the Fiat 126 is RWD and can powerslide..

Every car has exactly the same performance.. yes really!! the only exception is the moped which goes about 1/2 the speed.. but the Lambo/126 etc all go the same speed!

The 'free drive' is a nice feature, and probably the best, since the missions are far too linear, and very frustrating...

The police, they will chase you for the smallest thing (press the accelerator/catch a kerb), and as for AI :lol: , they just sit right behind you.. so if you want to lose them, you just clip a car going the same way (on a straight bit of road) to spin it.. it collects the police.. voila.. lost them...

At this point, i'd like to mention something positive... but i havent found it yet...

arent all the cars in Need for speed RWD.. especially when drifting?

nope.. the integra is fwd in NFS...

The skyline is 4wd..

Oh, forget to mention, not only are the cars all the same speed, they all handle exactly the same too...

I bought Driv3r on the day it came out... took it back for a refund yesterday - not impressed at all.

Driving physics - paaah!

Did you find the missions to be really frustrating? It seemed like the authors had tweaked the game to make it really hard just to try to cover up the fact that there weren't that many of them.

I managed to struggle all the way through to Istanbul but got completely cheesed off trying to do the level where you have to sneak into a building without being seen (and there's a guard who stands in the middle of the stairs and spots you every time no matter what you do).

I found a few bugs too - it just felt sometimes like the game hadn't been playtested at all, just rushed to market in the hope it might sell a lot to people who can't wait until GTA:SA comes out.

yea the game is poor,they have had 4 years to sort as the last Driver games were on PS 1,the pop up when your driving flat out is very poor,the draw distance is a joke with cars appearing out of no where instead of getting bigger as you get close to them...the only good point i could say is now at least you can cruise around without having to keep tapping the forward button to keep the same speed..

Save your money folks like Fidgits says ;)

Agreed. Truly Shi :tsktsk: te!

The missions are faaaar too linear, the first mission (in the police station) is enough to put most people off.. The controls are truly shocking - they've tried to do a max payne style control mechanism rather than a GTA type one (i.e. strafe on left stick) but without the security blanket of bullet time when you need to turn quick!! :angry:

And don't get me started on the graphics!!!

Clipping... Jaggies everywhere on Xbox!!.. Some textures, i dunno, forget to load(?!) so you get these N64 type textures on buildings when they're close up :lol: plus when you think it might redeam itself it starts chugging like crazy! :P

oh and did I say the sounds were poo too? the tyre squeling is soo annoying and the cars all sound the same, and handle the same for that matter.

So i took it back to game for a refund B) - rant over :)

Ok...thats 40 quid staying in my pocket then....thank you Ian!! :lol:

By the way slightly :offtopic: but does anyone know the release date for Grand Theft Auto San Andraas??

well, had a play at lunchtime, almost at the end of a level, and the whole game freezes...

So, that was the last straw, I took it back for a refund...

after explaining the statutory consumer rights to the Dixons branch manager, he agreed to 'make an exception' and give me a refund.. (which he legally had to do anyway!)

seriously guys.. save your money!