Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mot + Warranty + Dealer = Help!

Stu

Took the IS into lexus ********** today to get it's MOT done, and the reason i took it there was that if there was any work needed that could be covered by warranty, they could do it before it runs out on the 4th July.

So everything was going ok, i got a courtesy car (an IS200 SE with a minging cream leather interior i might add!), and went to work. About 2 hours later i got a call to tell me that it needed some work doing to pass, so i asked what it was, they told me that it needed one of the front ball joints replacing to pass, and the other was on it's way out, so could be done at the same time. It also needed new pads on the rear (not essential to pass), and an air conditioning service (again, not essential to pass).

When i asked how much it would be, i cried! :crybaby:

The whole lot totalled a couple of quid short of £700. :ohmy:

So i asked if the ball joints were covered by the warranty scheme (the car has got 58k on the clock, and i still have warranty left), the answer i got from the service advisor was - no. it's general wear and tear, and won't be covered.

So i'm having kittens by this stage, and for help, i turned to paul (fargo). Thank the heavens above for MSN messenger!

He did a search on the forums for me, and came back with a thread (thank *** for the LOC!) about ball joints and warranty, which inspired me to raise merry bloody hell and get these things done on the warranty scheme.

I went in to the dealership (easier than talking to them on the phone i thought), and asked them to detail to me exactly why the work wouldn't be covered by warranty, and suprise suprise, the only answer they could come up with was - wait for it - i know they won't cover it because it's just wear and tear.

(CUE MY FACE TURNING SCARLATI RED) :megaangry: :megaangry: :megaangry:

So anyway, i asked for someone to come out and speak to me on it, which they did. i explained the scenario to them, and they said, sign here Mr Smith, and we'll put the claim in for you right now.

So they phoned up the warranty people, and they processed the claim right in front of me, no quibbles.

THEY HADN'T EVEN RUNG THEM TO TRY AND FIND OUT IF IT COULD BE CLAIMED.

They also thought they would have to keep the car overnight, and said they needed the courtesy car i was in for something else this week, and they asked me if i would mind having another car (not a lexus) for the night. So i thought about it and said not a problem, but i'm not paying for it! They were only gonna give me a poxy MONDEO or summit like it :yack: :yack: :yack:

To cut a long story short, they processed the claim, so the bill went from £700 down to £300, but then i still had one more card to play! :winky:

It took them ages to figure out how to deduct the discount from the bill!

But anyways, i ended up paying £270 for £700 worth of work.

And the moral of the story - loc WILL save you money!

It saved me £430 today, and that ain't a small sum of cash either.

So - THANK YOU PAUL & THANK YOU LOC

I owe ya a beer ol' boy!

Stu

(Placed in public forums to demonstrate the effectiveness of the LOC network at the suggestion of Matt McNally)

They were indeed, and with a baby on the way, i really couldn't afford that, as we have to be buying other stuff like furniture, buggy etc etc.

Makes you laugh don't it! :P

Stu

THEY HADN'T EVEN RUNG THEM TO TRY AND FIND OUT IF IT COULD BE CLAIMED.

That dealer's attitude is just disgusting. What a nightmare you have had! I thought owning a Lexus is supposed to be trouble free. The cars are trouble free but many of the dealers are not!

Whats done is done tho buddy, i got it done under warranty, even tho i did have to fight a bit to get it, and yes it got up my nose a bit, but i wouldn't call it a nightmare! (That would have been if i couldn't have got it done under warranty! :P )

Stu

6 months to learn a trade.

May I recommend "Dicta-phone", "Chimney sweeping stage 1,2"

(You may laugh but a friend is trying this with "French")

:P Oh no! You can't do that! there are so few chimneys properly working these days to send children up. But they fit through very small spaces, so burgling is an option? Plus; all those plates you see from the Orient with little designs on are done by children-or were.........

Other than that, it's an alternative to 'pathetic dog' accompaniment when selling 'Big Issue'? :D

Nah, you can't teach someone how to be an international class fly-half for england by a dictaphone!

You can only learn that from the master - Mr Wilkinson!

Stu

;) Yeah, the man who taught Beckham new tricks! :blink:

Chippiestu

Do you have any mods on your car & did the dealer try to blame this???

Only ask because im thinking of lowering my car (with TTE springs) which is still under warenty & realy dont want to get 6 months down the line, something go's wrong & they blame the new springs & refuse to pay out.

Glad you got it sorted though!

Stuart

Stu,

the car is modified, but i haven't touched the suspension at all. the only changes to that area are the wheels, which were changed from standard 's' 16" to standard 'se' & 'sport' 17" alloys. I do have a strut brace on order, but it obviously isn't on yet!

The best advice i can give you is to check with your dealer if the mods you want to do will have an impact on your warranty before you do them. They never questioned my mods before when i went to have stuff done on it, and this time was no exception, but i haven't had to have any work carried out on any area that i've modified yet.

If in doubt about it all, shove a post up on here, someone will be able to help i'm sure!

Hope that helps!

Stu :driving:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links