Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Losing The Run-flats

TRC

SC fans:

My Run-Flats are now history and the difference in the ride is incredible!! Got Michelin Pilot Sports A/S ..bought five to have a spare in storage. Its a whole new driving experience, folks.

I intend to drive without the spare and take the consequences which in savings over the run-flat replacement tire costs, even if it ever means an overnight hotel stay somewhere and a flat bed truck tow is going to be a HUGE savings.. ...

NOW FOR SOME CONTROVERSY !!!

There is much talk in this forum about replacing wheels (from the original "pie" design). It was the original "pie" wheels that made this car look different and special from all the other ubiquitous and redundant 5 spoke wheel designs on the roadways. It was the wheels that put this buyer over the top and made me the owner i am today.

I cannot judge you as "wrong" just because you like something different in design from another's viewpoint? BUT !!!!!! When i showed some of my colleaques the Lexus wheel alternative to my pie wheels the vote was overwhelming... even angrily ecstatic... in favor of the original.

If it makes a difference to you, i am a widely known and respected architect and my friends are all in the "pure arts" as well.

5 spoked wheels belong on cheap cars and look like they do. They also have a tendency to make a car look like a "toy car" that a kid might have. Rare among expensive high end elegant automobiles, with some exceptions, are these fat spoked wheel designs. That is because, in general, auto stylists agree with the foregoing statement. BUT auto SELLERS pander to a public that is not all that "rich" in artistic sense. Lexus, by offering up spoked alternatives in wheel design for the SC430 begins to capture the eyeball of the less sophisticated. ...may we suggest.. the people who tend to buy red cars, get vanity plates and have a velvet painting of Elvis in their homes. ...the buyers who subconsciously gravitate toward the toy car in their mind or the drama of the more obvious wheel articulation. You can bet that the original designers are ANGRY.

This will anger some of you. But it may also cause you to ponder it a bit. I am weathered with this experience, because of my reputation, i tend to cause some to feel uneasy when i step into their home for the first time. Relax, ...convert if you like.. but if you are on the borderline.. take a second look at the original design. It is near PERFECT !!!

TRC

• 3 weeks later...

The only thing I dislike about the car is the handling and ride related to the tires. I will need to replace the existing run flat tires in about 5000 more miles, and am looking for an alternative, and you seem to have found one. Can you use the same wheels? What happens with the low pressure indicator?

SHM

I own a mere IS200 (with 5 spoke alloys, alas!) but came by this thread because I was intrigued by the controversy over run-flat tyres. It does seem as if the SC might have had a much better press but for the run-flats.

As to the wheel design, I can understand the argument that the original wheels suit the car better than 5 spoke variants, but I'm not sure that I like them, except perhaps on really large cars, which the SC is not. It is just a matter of personal preference, I think, and has little to do with whether one has or has not 'good taste'. In fact, I was rather irritated by TRC's attitude. OK, clearly he is trying to be provocative here, but he merely comes over as a condescending snob, and I'm sure that this was not what he intended.

I wonder what TRC thinks of three-spoke alloys? No, no, no, not on a Lexus (do calm down, TRC), but I think they can look quite dinky on scooters....

I own a mere IS200 (with 5 spoke alloys, alas!) but came by this thread because I was intrigued by the controversy over run-flat tyres. It does seem as if the SC might have had a much better press but for the run-flats.

As to the wheel design, I can understand the argument that the original wheels suit the car better than 5 spoke variants, but I'm not sure that I like them, except perhaps on really large cars, which the SC is not. It is just a matter of personal preference, I think, and has little to do with whether one has or has not 'good taste'. In fact, I was rather irritated by TRC's attitude. OK, clearly he is trying to be provocative here, but he merely comes over as a condescending snob, and I'm sure that this was not what he intended.

I wonder what TRC thinks of three-spoke alloys? No, no, no, not on a Lexus (do calm down, TRC), but I think they can look quite dinky on scooters....

:lol: Well said,hope you aint dented his reputation :sick:

...may we suggest.. the people who tend to buy red cars, get vanity plates and have a velvet painting of Elvis in their homes. ...the buyers who subconsciously gravitate toward the toy car in their mind or the drama of the more obvious wheel articulation. You can bet that the original designers are ANGRY.

NO YOU MAY NOT SUGGEST THAT ! :angry:

• 1 month later...

On delivery of my SC430 there was a complete set of the original round wheel inserts in the trunk. The dealer said I could actually have two sets if I wanted them as the parts department was awash in them. Guess people are going for the five spoke. Should the spirit move me, I guess I can rotate back and forth between covers to suit my elvis/non-elvis moods...

Seriously, does anyone else have experience with US spec cars and non-run flats? As with many of you, my only complaint is the ride quality... I know it is not going to ride like an LS430, but I wish it could absorb those bumps a little better.

Specific recommendations of tires and your personal experiences with them would be appreciated

You may want to post your question on the US forums for better feedback on US spec issues. I know the SC430 in the UK hasn't been sold with runflats for a couple of year now since it received such bad press when it was first launched.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links