Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Have I Got A Ceased Caliper

Wosket

Driving home from the Trafford Centre on the M60 this morning and I noticed a funny smell, just put it dow to the car in front as I didnt notice anything odd. Anyway, got out the car, noticed the smell even more, then noticed a bit of smoke coming from the right rear. The caliper and drum was red hot compared with the left rear. I haven't had a chance to get the wheel off and have a good look yet but was just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what it might be?

I'll hopefully have the chance to have a good mooch round it later.

cheers chaps!

nope, it was definitely off, i remember pulling it up when i stopped.

the car has been feeling a bit sluggish over the last few days, this morning was the first time i've done more than 10 miles and been on the motorway lately.

Will it free-wheel on a slight incline? From the symptoms you described it definitely sounds like a seized caliper. Probably not too expensive to fix (might just need a bit of a clean up).

ok, ive had the wheel off today and the caliper cant be seized as i can spin the disc round easily enough with the handbrake off. so then any other ideas as to what may be happening. i havent driven it since it smoked but im thinking i may go for a blast somewhere later to see if it happens again.

so any other ideas peeps?

I have known cars to do this with the wheel off,its only when the wheel is torqued back on(for some unknown reason)it somehow rubs again,by putting pressure back on the hub.

I would jack the rear up,chok the front wheels(h/brake off) and spin the rear first.

i've been for a blast up and down the m60, no smoke and the caliper wasnt very hot this time and the wheel hub was just as hot as all the others. so i've got no idea, its a mystery or the start of some strange intermittent fault...

handbrake definitely wasnt on, the missus will back me up on that one, my drive slopes slightly and i always get the 'ding' noise as i pull it on just before the cars stopped. she did say we went over a plastic bag but i cant see any remains of one burnt on anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

i found the remains of something burnt on the inside underneath of the caliper, if you get where i mean, so it was just a bit of rubbish id picked up somewhere along the line. as for the car feeling sluggish an ecu reset sorted that out.