Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ban For Speed Camera Spotters?

Bobski

Speed camera detectors could be made illegal in the UK. Auto Express has learned that the Government is looking at ways of banning laser detectors as they can give away the position of mobile speed traps.

A spokesman for the Department for Transport explained: "The police have the right to carry out covert surveillance. Devices that detect the signal given off by a mobile speed camera can give this away, and this could be seen to affect the police's ability to do their job properly." But he added: "We have no problem with those systems which only use GPS satellite technology."

Such gadgets, known as locators, are deemed acceptable as they can only tell drivers where fixed cameras are - and this information already exists in the public domain. In addition, Gatsos are designed to slow motorists at accident hotspots, and GPS systems help warn drivers that they're nearing a high-risk location.

Many European countries - including France - have already banned all detectors, but a similar move by the UK authorities could give weight to the argument that Gatsos are no more than a way of raising revenue.

Article from Autoexpress website

they will never be able to ban the gps detectors for reasons stated.. as for laser detectors, they detect the mobile laser.. which by the time your unit has detected it...your caught anyway.. as far as i know the detection of the mobile laser does not stop it from working..

and detecting such stuff isnt illegal.. its only when you interfere with the mobile laser that you are committing an offence..

just like listening to the police via a scanner,, its not illegal but acting upon the information received is..

my 2p worth

:ph34r::ph34r: Wear a mask when driving! Cover your number plates with mud!I've never been NEAR to having an accident through my own driving, yet often find I'm speedingtechnically! Hide those detectors behind your grilles? :tsktsk:

wonder if the laser detector can be made waterproof as hidding it behind the grille would be a good idea, and get it of the dash as well

already available....

you can get laser detectors that fit into the grill and relay info to the dash, cant think of the name to hand :D

The way this speeding larks going,im thinking of selling up and buying a old vintage car....free road tax,cheap insurance,poor brakes so you must keep your distance :D and when your driving at 40mph it seems like your doing 140mph with all the rattles and shakes and noise and hard work with the old double d clutching when changing gear....and in the wet you will have to drive slow because of the slow speed wipers :D :D

The funs gone from driving nowadays :angry: