Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Stolen Rec

SHAHZ

:unsure: Whats the deal with stolen recovered vehicles that have no logbook :question: How do you get a new logbook or even more importantly how do you know that it is not still stolen (as it has no logbook) :question::question:

TIA

you can apply for a log book from the post office as this is not proof you own the car,do a hpi check on the car ,it will confirm it is not stolen or wanted by the police at this present time .

If you phone your local police station expressing concern over a car you are buying they will be more than happy to check it out and tell you if they have any interest in it :winky: ,save yourself £25 as well . :whistling:

If you phone your local police station expressing concern over a car you are buying they will be more than happy to check it out and tell you if they have any interest in it :winky: ,save yourself £25 as well . :whistling:

Eh No!

You cannot just conduct a pnc check for anyone that comes into a station with an intetest on a car.

when you say stolen recovered, was it your own,

or are you looking to buy one from a salvage dealer ?

if it is from a salvage place, last i heared was if you buy without log book ,

the police are notified by dvla when you apply for one.

they then write to you and want to see all receipts of repaired parts

to make sure your not handling stolen parts.

you also have to do a check at one of their approved garages who do a vehicle check, similar to an mot, but it dont cost the price of an mot.

more like ten !!!!!

If you phone your local police station expressing concern over a car you are buying they will be more than happy to check it out and tell you if they have any interest in it :winky:  ,save yourself £25 as well . :whistling:

Eh No!

You cannot just conduct a pnc check for anyone that comes into a station with an intetest on a car.

eh not what i said

If you say you are thinking of buying a car but feel there is something amiss they will check it out for you ,its there job to ,as shahz said it could be still stolen.

If you phone your local police station expressing concern over a car you are buying they will be more than happy to check it out and tell you if they have any interest in it :winky:  ,save yourself £25 as well . :whistling:

Eh No!

eh not what i said

If you say you are thinking of buying a car but feel there is something amiss they will check it out for you ,its there job to ,as shahz said it could be still stolen.

"they will check it out for you "

Yes but the only way of "checking it out" IS by doing a "PNC" check, and are under instructions not to do this as all our checks get audited over the year, and some are returned to you to check what the pnc check was done for........So a good pocket book is required. I have argued in the past that it could be a part of preventing and detecting crime, by finding a lost or stolen car, but the senior management team stress "no, not for an enquiry off the cuff from an interested buyer in the police station".

when you say stolen recovered, was it your own,

or are you looking to buy one from a salvage dealer ?

No it was advertised on auto trader - the guy says he got it direct from the insurance company?!

Havnt had a chance to go look at it yet if i do on monday i will take herts advise he gave me and what Mudz suggested -- i had forgotten about that -- i done this a few years ago took reg/vin and engine number to local police station and they checked it out for me -- turned out the engine didnt belong to that car :ohmy::excl: told the seller to :tsktsk: hiself

Thanks for your help guys - will let you know the outcome B)