Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Does 2 Litre Actually Mean?

this is something I have never understood. What does the 2 Litre actually refer to?

I guess its something to do with the amount of air it sucks in, but how quick does it convert a pop bottle full of air into magic??

sorry if this is a bit of a blonde question.... :geek::geek::geek:

IS200 engine has 75mm (7.5cm) bore and 75mm stroke.

Volume of cylinder is Pi * (radius squared) * stroke

= 3.14 * (3.75 * 3.75) * 7.5

= 331.171875cc

Has the engine is 6 cylinder therefore total engine capacity is 331.171875* 6

= 1987 cc

As the engine is a 4 stroke it draws in and pushes out it's capacity every 2 revolutions of the crankshaft.

So if the engine is running at 6000rpm that is 100 times per second and of those 100 time half are drawing in air. Therefore 50 x 2 litres every second.

As the engine is a 4 stroke it draws in and pushes out it's capacity every 2 revolutions of the crankshaft.

So if the engine is running at 6000rpm that is 100 times per second and of those 100 time half are drawing in air. Therefore 50 x 2 litres every second.

:geek::geek: I soo knew you were gonna say something like that Col!!

Don't forget that not all of the air that goes in comes out in the same form, some of the oxygen in it reacts with the hydrocarbons in the petrol when it gets burnt, and as it comes out hotter than when it went in, it's volume will be higher (although it will have been compressed by the engine). A few molecules probably react with the iron in the exhaust pipe too.

So can you get your calculator out again and do it properly this time please mate?

:lol::lol:

:lol:

Sorry Rod :blush: I didn't even take into account the fuel that is going in which would reduce the amount of air!

I take it this question was posted due to the talk of induction kits and air boxes etc? Remember that all the air the engine needs is passing through the throttle body opening which is quite small and therefore probably the most restrictive part.

Erm, would love to say I knew what you're all talking about but you lost me at blonde :P

Why do some companies just make huge engines which 5+ litre engines and then just leave them kicking out a few hundred brake - is it down to efficiency or cost?

What's the point of having a huge normally aspirated engine kicking out say 400bhp vs a smaller engine with a compressor or turbo? Reliability?

Some of the car's I seen in the USA have huge engines but not as much bhp as you'd expect - just wondered why.

I take it this question was posted due to the talk of induction kits and air boxes etc? Remember that all the air the engine needs is passing through the throttle body opening which is quite small and therefore probably the most restrictive part.

Colin, you have some wicked form of esp or something, you knew exactly why I posted the topic!

**Please dont melt my mind, PLEASEEEEEEE**

I think... strictly speaking its the "Swept Volume" rather than the the actual internal size of the cylinder bores... At least thats what my old man used to say (he was an engineer and worked on ****el engine design of all things!)

this page explains it briefly... http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave/3DVG/node31.html

Thats why you measure the stroke of the piston, and not the depth of the cylinder.

You are not measuring the size of the cylinder, only the air displaced by the piston moving within that cylinder.

Hence its called swept capacity.

franmac.

Go to this web page :-

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/

its the best website ever for finding out......how stuff works. the link above is for the auto section. you can find out about all sorts of engines, turbos, superchargers, vtec, pushrod, flats, rotary and hemi's (sweet).

I went to this website to understand the basics of how engines work. it opened my eyes up to just how many factors you have to take into consideration when modding the block. Unfortunately i've yet to moddify my little is200's block :-(