Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tomtom Navigator Questions

I've got a Palm T3 and I'm looking at buying TomTom Navigator for it. I need help in deciding whether to get the wired version or the Bluetooth one. What are the general opinions as I know some of us already have these?

Does anyone know if the Bluetooth version can be powered from the cigar lighter, or does it need to be hard wired?

I've got the Bluetooth GPS receiver and it works brilliantly.

I usually charge it indoors and it lasts for hours I'm sure you can hard wire it to the car but I remember reading somewhere in the manual that it shouldn't be 'overcharged'. I can't remember exactly what it said but something along those lines which I interpreted to mean just that.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the GPS receiver doesn't need to be near the windscreen. I keep mine in the glove compartment.

How cool is that? B)

Bluetooth GPS

Pro : no wires.

Con : have to remember to recharge the Battery, more difficult to connect when you initialise, more expensive.

Bottom line : If you only use it in the car, get a wired one, find a good location for it and forget about it. Remember that your PDA will need to be docked for power anyway so it will need a cable.

If you want to use it for other applications (boat, walking, riding etc) then pay the extra & get btooth.

Note also that the TomTom Bluetooth receiver is not the best or cheapest btooth receiver about.

Yeah, I think the wired one would probably do - especially if it works when out of sight - I know a guy on 350zuk has put the receiver under the casing surrounding the rear strut brace.

Although since posting this thread this afternoon, I've been looking at the VDO Dayton MS5500 system and it looks the jangly bits esp with the optional extras such as TV tuner and DVD player, etc. No cheap though and I doubt that expense request would be signed off by Mrs A. :unsure:

One of the main reasons for me buying a wireless one is because it is easily transported to different cars.

I sometimes drive the work car on business so I can take it along with me. :)

TomTom now have an excellent Live Traffic info program. So go for a wired aerial as then you can then use Bluetooth to connect to your mobile (GPRS) and get the live updates. These are then shown on the tomtom screen.

As you can only connect to one Bluetooth device at one time, you will not be able to use both (GPS aerial, internet connection) at the same time.

You will not be abl