Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Unichip

I agree that the ECU upgrade is wise and worthwhile..... ONCE quite a few mods have been carried out. ( FULL exhaust system, including headers and pre-cat removal. Forced induction is poss)

But all i was trying to say, is that ALOT of people think they will get as much of a gain as a forced induction car.

I have found that once you tell people that they will only get 5 BHP MAX from the ECU upgrade, they change there minds!

I agree that the ECU upgrade is wise and worthwhile..... ONCE quite a few mods have been carried out. ( FULL exhaust system, including headers and pre-cat removal. Forced induction is poss)

But all i was trying to say, is that ALOT of people think they will get as much of a gain as a forced induction car.

I have found that once you tell people that they will only get 5 BHP MAX from the ECU upgrade, they change there minds!

There is a fair amount ignorance surrounding this subject. A lot of people do assume that because some turbo cars yield over 30hp from a "chip", they assume that n/a cars also do the same.

I would be surprized if we didn't see 15hp or more from ecu tuning on the is200 when the head and exhaust manifold are improved.

I didnt have the chip fitting thinking there were massive gains to be had, I know what Im doing.

The unichip merely fine tunes the mods already in place, and should not be fitted to a standard car, its a waste of money.

As far as super-gains are concerned, I think it is too easy to buy bolt on power in the form of a SC. I am currently developing the spare engine and when finished it WILL produce power in the region of 230-240 BHP from it without any SC or Turbo or NOZ, for much less than the price of an SC installation.

SC is good as you keep the driveability, but its too easy ! Imagine what the SC engines can produce when installed onto a well developed and mechanically sound engine producing 240BHP as NA ?

I personally prefer good old fashioned dirty hands R&D based on sound tried and tested mechanical theories. For example, I built a 2.1 Pinto producing 210 Bhp with a fairly stock bottom end, only uprated big end bearings and high volume/high pressure oil pump, only loads of head work and some rather mean twin 45's on a bespoke manifold I built with semi-compressed ram-air, matched ports inlet and exhaust, massive valves and a monstor cam.

Back to basics me thinks.....We shall see chaps. :winky:

I am currently developing the spare engine and when finished it WILL produce power in the region of 230-240 BHP from it without any SC or Turbo or NOZ, for much less than the price of an SC installation.

That sound really interesting Pete :D

I presume you realise that a 333cc per cylinder engine needs to rev to at least 8800rpm to get 230hp and to at least 9200rpm to make 240hp. The intake system will support that power and rpm but you have your work cut out on the exhaust and basic reliability methinks :blink:

What engine management and camshafts will you use?

• 1 year later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links