Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Unichip

had one (with 3d map) on old 200,, Duncan has it now..

I had the unichip fitted along with the zaust and n/a induction kit. wouldnt say it made a great difference.. and inhidsight i wouldnt have bothered and would have spent the 500 odd quid on somehting else. maybe on nos.

But where it defently helps is when combined with the 3d mapping module AND a supercharger.. then you can properly make use of the unichip..

defently worth it when combined with uprated zuast

had one (with 3d map) on old 200,, Duncan has it now..

I had the unichip fitted along with the zaust and n/a induction kit. wouldnt say it made a great difference.. and inhidsight i wouldnt have bothered and would have spent the 500 odd quid on somehting else. maybe on nos.

But where it defently helps is when combined with the 3d mapping module AND a supercharger.. then you can properly make use of the unichip..

defently worth it when combined with uprated zuast

Ive got a HKS Hiper and a Trust Ind Kit, Im hoping the chip makes the difference. Its costing me £450 incl VAT and Fitting. The process will take him near on a full day as he programmes it on a rolling road.

:D

I am toying with various ideas...........

Does supercharging affect fuel economy much? Anyone got before and after experience?

I'm only getting just over 20mpg so for that kind of consumption I want more go!! B) B)

Its either that or will a Starlet engine fit? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:offtopic: How the hell do I get my pic back on my signature anyone? Its loaded in the gallery but I must be doing something wrong?

Ive done the deed and booked the car in for a Unichip Next Wednesday. Has anyone had any experience of these?

They do work when mapped properly but it won't turn the car into supercharged or NoS'd performance.

We have seen quite few conversions that haven't been mapped very well, so it really comes down to how good the guy is and how much time he is prepared to spend if it is a fixed price.

We have seen quite few conversions that haven't been mapped very well, so it really comes down to how good the guy is and how much time he is prepared to spend if it is a fixed price.

The guy does alot of them. It takes him a full day to map the unit on a rolling road. My brother knows him very well through his business (BMW/Hartge) and he says he is very thorough. He does do alot of racing cars, which gives me confidence straight away.

Well, its in, and the printout shows approx 5hp gain. I can feel a little difference, but cant really put my finger on it. She feels slightly smoother, and throttle response is better. Im happy with it, especially as the chip can accommodate all future mods that I do :winky:

The timing was adjusted 4 degrees and the fueling was adjusted only very slightly as this was OK. Printout now shows 169 BHP.

According to the printout, BHP Gains occur between 2500 and 6000, and the torque line has defo improved, ironing out the flat spots I had at 3500 and 4500.

Whats next I wonder....... :whistling:

169 = Unichip and what else?

HKS Hiper and Trust Induction kit i believe.....

Thats really good Pete! I think with this post you have answered a lot of questions that some people will have....people that want to keep their IS N/A but get some good power gains!!

If you had put the three mods in together, all at the same time, you would have really noticed the difference!!

Now if you were gonna keep it N/A...lightened flywheel, HKS spark plugs, remove the pre-cats...to name a few suggestions, and the car will be pretty sharp in the world of N/A me thinks.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, its in, and the printout shows approx 5hp gain. I can feel a little difference, but cant really put my finger on it. She feels slightly smoother, and throttle response is better. Im happy with it, especially as the chip can accommodate all future mods that I do :winky:

The timing was adjusted 4 degrees and the fueling was adjusted only very slightly as this was OK. Printout now shows 169 BHP.

According to the printout, BHP Gains occur between 2500 and 6000, and the torque line has defo improved, ironing out the flat spots I had at 3500 and 4500.

Whats next I wonder....... :whistling:

So for £450 you get a 5 bhp gain???..... is that including the ind kit and zorst??

What i mean is, did you Unichip installation alone give 5 bhp??

Must admit, if the above is true, its a waste of money!

For that price i would either get NOS, or at least at set of headers ( Which is where a BIG difference can be gained!... Big being very noticable.)

Chips only make a big impact on a car with forced induction or a diesel...

I personally think its a big mis conception.

I regularly have customers asking if they can get their is200 "chipped" thinking that the chip alone ( Without an upgraded exhaust or induction ) will give them about 25 BHP.

I personally would be spending the £500 ish on something else. ( Maybe towards a S/C after all this is about a quarter to the price of a S/C at the moment.), or towards a bodykit... something more noticeable.

So for £450 you get a 5 bhp gain???..... is that including the ind kit and zorst??

What i mean is, did you Unichip installation alone give 5 bhp??

Must admit, if the above is true, its a waste of money!

For that price i would either get NOS, or at least at set of headers ( Which is where a BIG difference can be gained!... Big being very noticable.)

Chips only make a big impact on a car with forced induction or a diesel...

I personally think its a big mis conception.

I regularly have customers asking if they can get their is200 "chipped" thinking that the chip alone ( Without an upgraded exhaust or induction ) will give them about 25 BHP.

I personally would be spending the £500 ish on something else. ( Maybe towards a S/C after all this is about a quarter to the price of a S/C at the moment.), or towards a bodykit... something more noticeable.

Any type of ecu upgrade can only work within the physical limitations of the specification of the car.

We undertook the r&d on this a couple of years ago and got around 6hp/15 lbs-ft by giving around 6 degress of advance and reducing the fueling by a large amount.

Modifications to improve airflow and combustion efficiency will allow more power to gained from ecu tuning.

The benefit/cost ratio depends on individual circumstances as some people will be at the point where ecu tuning is the next logical progression having done everything else, and some may either not like the idea of or be unable to get insured for nitrous.

Personaly I don't think it's fair to compare ecu tuning to nitrous, firstly because nitrous is short term solution and secondly because it will cost more than £500 to get a good system professionaly installed by a reputable firm. However, I do agree that a decent exhaust manifold should be done first, although I don't know of anything decent being available for £500................yet.