Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

On some cooler mornings recently my car hasn't started as well as warm days, I was going to mention this to my Dad and kept forgetting. I went to the cinema one evening last week and drove home without any problems. Then at 6:45 the next morning my car alarm was going off, so I went out to investigate and couldn't figure it out (it wasn't very windy either) and went back to bed. When I needed to use the car the next day I put the key in and the steering wheel started to retract and then stopped, so I turned the ignition on and the dash came on, but when I turned the key: nothing. Once we realised it was the Battery, the drop in charge of the old Battery was probably the cause of the alarm. We fitted another Battery and everything was fine (and my windows and sunroof now open with more vigour).

My Battery check light works when you turn the ignition on and goes off as it should, but I never saw it on the day before the Battery died (or at all other than at start up). My Dad suspects it's the original Battery (Panasonic), which would be about eight years old. No electrics were left on in the car, e.g. lights, the night before.

Can car batteries die so suddenly and without warning or is there a problem (alternator)?

:crybaby: Well, know how you feel! Mine did same recently. (Then the replacement-self fit- had terminals wrong way around; Saturday....shop shut 'til Monday....Arrgh!) But, if it's eight years old, then definitely had your use. Mine is guaranteed for 4 years. Alarms apparently are a constant drain on batteries and, if you only do --say--under 10 mile trips, the Battery never regains its full charge (Stereo, lights, air-con, etc.....)

I think a Solar constant-trickle re-charger would/will be a good investment. You just plug them into your lighter socket and they solar power recharge the Battery while it sits in the sun! :geek: :zee:

I think a Solar constant-trickle re-charger would/will be a good investment. You just plug them into your lighter socket and they solar power recharge the battery while it sits in the sun!

I've not seen one of these before. Do you know where I can get one, I'm interested in checking it out?

:crybaby: Whoops! No idea WHERE to find one! Just in my head to look! Read/saw SOMETHING recently though! (Forgive the ancient memory failing.......? Someone will know, I'm sure; that Maneesh-are you there?....or Besty''''? :zee: )

quick google search - loads of matches on solar car charger, this is the first link:

http://www.sinclairanddrummond.co.uk/detail.asp?prod_ID=96

it will only work if the car you are using it on has a supply to the lighter socket with the ignition off.

:unsure: Colin! I'm following you around in the 'ether' tonight! Do you know if the LS400 has its cig-lighter 'ON' this way?

(Lazy sod, Chris! Just go outside in the rain and check!) :whistling:

Sorry Chris, don't know. Could look through the wiring diagrams but haven't the time tonight - Probably best to move house, it isn't raining in Surrey ;)

:lol: No chance, mate! It's too 'cool' here! Lovely view of fields across the Avon; National Trust land adjacent to my house; Big old estate with 6 miles of bridle paths just across the road.....

Just found a WIND POWERED trickle charger (I live on a hill!) It's only £249 !!!

Praps not! :zee:

My battery check light works when you turn the ignition on and goes off as it should, but I never saw it on the day before the battery died (or at all other than at start up). My Dad suspects it's the original battery (Panasonic), which would be about eight years old. No electrics were left on in the car, e.g. lights, the night before.

Can car batteries die so suddenly and without warning or is there a problem (alternator)?

the little red light is more an alternator warning light

lights when the Battery isnt getting charge

usually starts to glow when the alternator is on its way out

when it lights constantly means your Battery is getting no charge and you may need a new alternator

:)