Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alloy Corrosion

atce4

As a newbie to LOC forums I have only just read about the corrosion suffered by alloys fitted to Lexus cars. I've recently bought a 2003 IS 200 so this obviously concerns me somewhat. How long does it take before the corrosion starts and what should I look for and how bad would it need to be before Lexus are willing to replace them? Also, does anyone know of any pictures on the forum that show what form the corrosion takes? Mine are fine at the moment, touch wood, but I'll be keeping a careful eye on them.

Finally, I can't help curbing them occasionally; would this affect any warranty claim for wheel corrosion.

Thanks in advance guys.

hi and welcome to the club,i to have a 2003 is200 my alloys started after only 12mths, you could only just see it ,and it was only on the front but lexus changed all 4 wheels, and it dose not matter about the curbing , but to get them changed the car must be no more than 3yrs old and 60,000 mls. ps my alloys are the 18inch alloys

I was down at Lexus Bristol last week.

They have boxes and boxes of them stacked up waiting to be sent back under warranty that must be why the parts are so dear,they have been sending back hundreds month after month,the fitter in the service area said there running out of room to store them.

Got mine replaced yesterday by Chester and after 12month of keeping the first set away from the kerb, i managed to nick the laquer on the new set today

The alloys on my 2003 IS 200 Sportcross showed signs of rust type bubbles under the surface of the alloy after 9 months 7800 miles.

Dealer replaced all 5 wheels FOC.

I dont think we should expect this on this quality of Car ??

hi and welcome to the club,i to have a 2003 is200 my alloys started after only 12mths, you could only just see it ,and it was only on the front but lexus changed all 4 wheels, and it dose not matter about the curbing , but to get them changed the car must be no more than 3yrs old and 60,000 mls. ps my alloys are the 18inch alloys

Oh crap so even if I buy the 18" style kit alloys they will still die... :blink::crybaby:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have an IS200 sport two years old. wheels always cleaned and was upset to find bubbling under surface of all four wheels. Husband said probably caused by salt on roads in winter... I have worked hard not to scratch the alloys so am well upset about corrosion. Was advised by husband's friend to apply under warranty, did not realise I could for that, so I will follow that up. Was surprised to find so many on this site with this problem. The dealership scratched my paintwork when it was last with them, so I have not got much faith in them but will be pleased for new wheels, I too was wondering whetherdamage to rims would be detrimental to a claim :ohmy: , altho mine is only on one of t hem. Thought the japs had it all sussed, mind you what a gorgeous car..... :o

Before i pay the dealer a visit has anyone had any problems with the 18's

fitted on a IS with styling kit ? on three of mine the edges to the spokes are the same colour as the inside of the wheel a sort of off white not grey like the outside

I asked on here a wile ago and one of the guys has the 18's and they have started to go they also have the same little stamp on them like the 17s I believe, the 'jm' or jn' mark? I think that this is the manufactures stamp. :unsure: