Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Paint Chip / Scratch Repair

Jan_

Some (I presume kids) threw some eggs at my car while I was driving along a dual carriage way. It caused chipping in the paintwork on the driver side door covering an area of an egg (and so light scratches leading off).

I thought I'd use E-valet to repair the damage (I'd seen the work they'd done before on a colleague's car and it was impressive). Unfortunately they haven't done a good job in matching / blending the repair.

It was only after the technician had left that I was able to see my car side on from a reasonable distance I noticed the problem. I'm waiting to hear back from them as to what they intend to do.... watch this space.

It does look a lot darker to me mate... :( I've learnt my lesson about small body repairs now - if there is any damage at all to the paint work or it needs painting, take it to a body shop..

SMART type repairs only seem to be satisfactory when they push out little dents that haven't damaged the paint.

Best of luck getting it sorted mate :)

The technician turned up this morning and said there was nothing more he could do about the colour, ie they can't match Platinum Ice.

Left messages for his boss to call me about a refund (which he agreed previously if the problem couldn't be sorted) - strangely enough he's proving elusive at the moment. If I don't get a refund I would stay away from Evalet.com for any minor paint repairs.

sounds unfortunate mate, it is darker but not a lot more you can do other than hound the boss for a refund at the mo.

you'd think they would have told you they couldnt match the colour in the first place.

Had an egg hit my front wing leaving an odd pattern in the paint.

I was surprised at the damage but i s'pose an egg shell is basically made of grit.

Anyway, quick blow over didn't completely fix it so having a repaint.

:lol::lol: Ho, ho, Tony Goose! Was it a --wait for it-------

GOOSE EGG? that hit your car :yack:

Come on, you must have expected THAT one! :tomato:

Chased up Evalet.com again today. They agreed to give me a full refund. It's a known issue with colour matching Platinum Ice - so if you have any Smart Repairs done on your paint work you have been warned!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well the local bodyshop here quoted me £650 to respray the front & rear bumper on the Soarer - no damage, just a respray to remove a few scratches! Just £140 of that was for paint/materials. Hmmm, don't think so...

Have a fine scratch about 1½" long over the rear wheel arch on the Lex. Given the hassle trying to match Plat Ice, just trying to ignore it every time I see it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

SMART repairs can be carried out to a INVISIBLE finish, depending who does the repair, The repair that evalet have done is beyond poor, its very bad workmanship and shows that the "Technician" was inexperenced.

I run my own business carrying out smart repairs. I would not charge for that repair and I would put you in contact with someone who CAN do a quality repair at a reasonable price.

In auto repair, you usually get what you pay for, if I look at a job and am unsure I will get a Excellent result, I will tell the customer in advance.

I would expect Evalet to pay toward putting that blotch on your nice car right?

:yack:

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's a tad unfair to say that SMART repairs are only any good for paintless dent removal. A huge percentage of cars on any dealer forecourt will have been subject to a SMART repair of their paintwork and 99% of the time nobody would know - I have to claim a vested interest because I'm a SMART repairer too.

I have to say also that the nature of this game is about meeting expectation.

Some guys claim to give a 100% invisible repair. Well, most of the time you can. BUT there are some jobs where you can pick out the repair and you know it before you start, so you either refuse the job or tell the customer what they are going to get. If they're happy with that then fine.

If somebody is very proud of their car and are extremely picky then I'll walk away. I may meet their expectation or I may not, but I'd rather not chance it.

Most people are aware of what they'll be getting and they'd rather give me

£80 or so than £300 to a bodyshop. I've only had one callback all the time I've been doing this and I rectified it as soon as possible. I've come to the conclusion that a lot of people aren't aware of what a SMART repair actually is. At a basic level it's a cosmetic improvement. Really, a respray is a cosmetic improvement, after all any work carried out on the body after it leaves the factory is a cosmetic improvement isn't it?

It's a dodgy job on the door, looks a bit like too much paint, too close

but then again, I'm not sure I'd have fancied the job myself bearing in mind the colour and the position of the damage. He may not necessarily have been a bad technician, maybe a bad day at the office - we all have 'em, but he shouldn't have charged for it afterwards. The e-valet techs should be insured against this type of thing anyway so if you have to, make a claim against it.

I've had over half a grand's worth of work done at a body shop this week (get the car back next week) - will show you all the results when it's done ;)

Trentbridge, the dealer did something to my car before I picked it up a year ago, and I've got serious spiderwebbing down one door - any ideas what would cause that? Is it probably a case of someone with a rotary buffer doing a **** job?

jack,

Wouldn't think it's a buffer. Likely to be one of the following:

a) Using cold paint which has thickened

B) Incorrect pressure and/or viscosity too high.

c) Using of cheap or the wrong thinners.

That's normally the cause of Spiderwebbing/cobwebbing.

Buffer marks are usually in the form of swirls.