Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Heater Problem

These last couple of weeks or so, if I put my heater onto the hottest, my windscreen and side windows steam up almost immediately, and the humidity inside the car increases dramatically, to the point where you can "smell" the damp air. Even if I put the aircon on to dry the air out, it takes ages to clear.

Im wondering if I have some water or something inside the car somewhere. Am I right to assume that the heater matrix sits inside a box behind the dash somewhere? Could water have somehow sneeked in and a blocked drain or something is keeping it there?

Is this common fault.

Also, I suffer a noticable amount of power when the air-con is switched on. could this be linked to the misting problem?

a similar thing happened in my old XR2i when the heater matrix developed a tiny hole in it half way up the M1. The windows steamed up big time and I couldnt clear them. I hope the same thing isn't happening here ! :duh:

hi Pete I had the same problem with a hgv I was driving, when you put heater on everything steamed up, took ages t figure it out, thought it was matrix but it wasn't, it happenned alot more when it was raining, played about for a few weeks and hey presto I figured it out, it was the pollen filter, when it got wet it was pulling the damp air into the vehicle. With it passing over the heater matrix it turned to steam so windows steamed up.. Took pollen filter out problem solved.

Hope it helps Pete, or at worst it could be heater matrix. :excl:

Check that the gulley at the front of the winscreen is not blocked with leaves ,and filling up with water ,and as suggested, the matrix is a possible reason, is the coolent level low?, are the carpets wet ?? all tel-tale signs of a leaking matrix .

Hy Pete,

It is normal to "loose " power when you switch on your air-con. In general case the power decrease around 10-15 hp .

I had the same problem concerning the stinky air smell just after you stop the air-con. It's just due to bacteries in your clim system.

Take your pollen filter (just behind the glove box ) off and inject clim cleaner spray directly in the clim motor. After 5 mins, do the same thing in all the air system. You will get a nice smelly air.

Hope this will help you.

was just going to suggest the re-circulation problem!!!

If you have the air on recirc then all the moisture your breathing out will get taken in by the fans and blown straight onto the windows. plus with all this damp weather we have been having. I accidentaly put mine on recirc yesterday and it went steamy in seconds. went as soon as i pressed fresh air!

Pete, stupid question but you don't have air recirculate on do you?

Don't know about Pete but :blush: I did and have been experiencing the exact same problem.

I lent her to my old man once, had this problem for a few days then I noticed what he had done :lol::lol: :duh: