Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Deep Crystal Stage 1 + 2

Has anyone hand applied and machine buffed stage 1?

I tired to apply stage 1 on half the bonnet, found it very hard to buff off, mind you this was my first every time with such a machine and bonnet probably wasnt the best place to start.... So in the end I got fed up and left out stage one, the paintwork cleans clean i.e smoot almost like glass but I can still see car wash swirls in it. Will they ever come out :question::crybaby:

Anyways I moved on stage 2, came of a lot easier and I'm happy with the results. Hoping it doesnt rain tonight, so it cures and I can apply another layer tomorrow or stage 3....

Is it possible to layer stage 2? or would this be a waste of time?

I also tried out autoglyms Tar remover, very good i must say ;)

After doing a lot of reading Raz I don't think the Meg stuff layers like Zaino etc. The guys who were layering NXT and seeing the best results after a couple of layers were saying it was because they had got a more even coat when they did a couple.

If you're after something a bit more abrasive than the stage one then try Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish (DACP) - supposed to be good but I haven't had chance to try it since I got it since I've been at work most weekends

There is some good stuff over at lexuscarcare.com too for swirl removal - might be worth taking a look at that but like anything it's going to be better and easier when you're using the machine, but at the same time it will work a lot quicker so be careful!

I applied the Stage 1 with my PC and didn't find it that hard to buff it off mate, saying that I left it quite a while and I'm about three times bigger than you :P

.. Edit ..

Raz you say machine buffed - are you taking this off by machine? I buffed mine off with a microfibre cloth by hand.....

Depending on how I feel, I might apply another layer sateg 2 or just go on to stage 3. The Zaino stuff near impossible to get hold of.

I've got some P21S on order, which should be arriving in the next few days. i'll do a couple of coats for JAE B)

I'm getting very :tsktsk: with the swirls. I've pretty much given up on it, any more abrasives, i doubt i'll have any paint left on my car :lol::angry:

Has anyone been to a valeter to get the swirls out? how much would I be looking at, and most importantly does it last??

The amount of money i've waste on polishes etc that claim to take out swirls :sick: I might as just get a respary from a mate of mine for a good price. Only problem is I dont wanna splash out on respary as I havent got a garage :crybaby:

Aido stage one comes off by hand fine, just a problem with the machine.

Raz, not sure but I thought I'd read somewhere it's best to buff in straight lines, by hand.

Means any new scratches you'll create will be in a straight line.

Like you though mate I've been looking at a respray of the car but in a different color - I'm not as brave as Maz though so I was looking at something like this:

http://www.lexusownersclub.com/gallery/Misc/P7040057_1

Would be a cow to keep clean and I'm knackered if I get a scratch but I like it!

your not putting to much on are ya?........sparingly,stage 1

How fast does your machine spin?

Put it on by hand,buff off with machine....if its still not buffing up to a shine finish off with a 100% terry towel by HAND.

Your paint work must be really bad :D

Different strokes for different folks mate :sick:

The two tone you were thinking of sounds better.

When I get a respary it will be VW black ;)

And yes i do every thing in straight lines..... 95% of the time.

your not putting to much on are ya?........sparingly,stage 1

How fast does your machine spin?

Put it on by hand,buff off with machine....if its still not buffing up to a shine finish off with a 100% terry towel by HAND.

Your paint work must be really bad :D

Pete only a fair amount of stage 1 but big dollops of stage 2 :)

The machine speed is 2000rpm.... ?

I buffed the rest of terry towel for stage2. Cant be bothered to do stage 1 now :angry::unsure::lol:

And yes my paint work is really bad :crybaby: sort it out please pete ;) :whistling:

I've heard a lot of people say about VW black or grey now - why?

Is it more resistant to chips or something?

supposed to be the toughest paint on the market :)

but it will add a few pounds.... to car that is.... you might lose a few sniffing it tho :P

Unless your dripping wet with sweat then you aint working hard enough.

I'll do 1 panel for ya.....maybe :P

O ****!!! OK

Thank you pete, i'll take you up on that offer :blush:

i have tried scratch x and was not impressed by it at all, the best i have found is turtle wax scratch and swirl remover - worked great on deeper scratches by hand and for swirls i used a polisher for 15 mins on the bonnet and it was perfect.

When I got my GS the paintwork seemed duller than my previous IS and there were swirl marks from the car wash (I presume). I paid a car valeter £60 to machine compund it and it's come up a treat.

Used to get my IS done 1-2 times a year to get rid of minor scratches.

Thanks Matt and Crookieboy,

I have a lot of 'swirl removal' products at home already.. so i dont think the problems the product but me :crybaby:

Rob, yep the T Cut tube was quite good, just dont feel too confident using it on the whole car.

Claire, did where swirls 'polished out' or 'filled it' I mean how long did it last? Is it a good long term solution?

Claire, did where swirls 'polished out' or 'filled it' I mean how long did it last? Is it a good long term solution?

I'm not sure really - probably a bit of both as after the valeter machine compounded the paintwork, he washed and polished it for me too. I was really pleased with the results, it really 'lifted' the paintwork, got rid of the swirls and it's lasted on the GS so far (had it done in April).

With my IS I had a deepish scratch where someone keyed it, and although you could still see it in some lights at the right angle, it disguised it really well.

I'll definitely stick to getting it done a couple of times a year to make sure any light scratches aren't noticeable. Not confident enough to use products myself since I cocked up using the T-Cut on a scratch on our old Prelude. :ohmy:

Made it look about 10 times worse! The car got keyed (bad neighbourhood, well out of there now!) and I thought I'd be nice and polish it out with T-Cut. Used too much, couldn't wipe it off properly and didn't know you got a different type of compound for metallic cars.

Now you know why I couldn't go ape**** at other half when he kerbed my wheels - still eating humble pie now!!!

The only way to get good results from Stages 1,2,3 is to do it all in 1 day,make sure its a dry warm day or better still in a garage.....you cant do it over a period of time i.e a week.

Stage 3 protects stage 2 and 2 protects 1...its that simple.So get out there and spend a day cleaning your Lex the results will be worth it.

You are used to a bit of manual labour aint ya!!! ;)