Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Alloys - Cost And Best Place To Buy?

Hi guys, this is my first post - please be gentle! I only found out about this site a few days ago and have already picked up some great tips - not least on the ERR3 message that was driving me up the wall. Cheers.

I've had my IS200se about a year - bought it off a mate and love it. One downer (and pretty common) is the alloys - they look crap. The car is just under 5 years old but is in great nick apart from this. I've read about the corroded alloys problem - I think mine might be well rotten but no doubt it isn't covered by any warranty after this long.

So, I've looked inn to alloys refurbing - there's a couple of places near me in kent that look Ok (Spit and Polish being one) I also new tyres, so I'm, guessing I'm looking at 650 odd quid for the refurb and the tyres.

Is it worth going the 'full hog' and getting brand news alloys along with the tyres? I just wondered how much this would cost.

Excuse my ignorance and thanks for any help.

Welcome to club,

650s a good guess for a full refurb and a set of QUALITY tyres.

The IS Alloy designs are very nice, but may be you would like to take this opportunity to upgrade to 18s?

£85 each? Is this correct? From a dealer?? I asked Lexus Edinburgh and it was £600 for REFURBISHED alloys - yes, I am not joking !! £150 each!!

LEXUS EDINBURGH - can you confirm or deny any of the above??

£85 each? Is this correct? From a dealer?? I asked Lexus Edinburgh and it was £600 for REFURBISHED alloys - yes, I am not joking !! £150 each!!

Are you sure £150 wasn't for outright sale - ie you keep the old wheels too ??

Dealers supply on 'exchange' basis for £85 + vat per wheel (mine does anyway).

On top of that, they may or may not charge a fit / balance fee... fiver maybe ?

Alternatively, find a local pristine agent - they refurb the wheels for lexus.

The same wheels on an exchange basis from prisitine are £60+vat each.

If they corrode again within 12 months, they'll redo them for free.

Also, if you scuff them etc within 12 months, they'll redo for 1/2 price.

Hope that helps B)

I have spoken to my Aftersales Manager and your quote was as follows

5 wheels (exchange) @ £81.25 each = £406.25

Labour to change tyres and wheels = £127.50

Subtotal = £533.75

VAT = £ 93.41

Total = £627.16

Parts departments are very guilty of quoting without fitting or VAT. I personally don’t approve of this as when the customer comes to pay the bill, they get a shock. If you turn up with 5 alloys, you can take away 5 refubs for £81.25 each, plus VAT.

If you are ‘Gold’ you will of course get discount on the parts and labour.

I hope this helps

Not heard from you gib, would you like a set?

I you would, please contact Laurie on 0131 335 6543 as I am off on holiday for a week.

Ian

bear in mind that new non-standard spec alloys may be classed as a modification by your insurers. Refurbished alloys would not be. If you do go for new, you might be able to persuade your insurers not to weight your premium on the basis that the new alloys are much the same as the old (alas, that wouldn't apply to 18 ins ones), but get any such assurance from them in writing.

• 1 year later...

Not heard from you gib, would you like a set?

I you would, please contact Laurie on 0131 335 6543 as I am off on holiday for a week.

Ian

Can you confirm if this is a UK wide deal? Different dealers seem to have different views / prices? Most annoying when you've spotted a good deal like this.

Better off buying a second hand set for £100, get them refurbed and sell the original set.

£30 per wheel to refurb including exchanging tyres etc and vat. How any garage, not just LexusEdinburgh can not only charge that much for, but also expect you to part company with your alloys is beyond me!

Nice post. I'm currelty looking to do something with mine as they are trashed. I've been quoted £70 per whell and £30 per wheel. I'm guessing that you'll get a better quality refurb the more money you spend. Looks like spit and polish do the job properly. I've asked them for a quote, so we shall see. Seems to be plenty of old whels on eBay though. It may be worth gettign a second hand set and doing them up, but it's all the time an effort (delivery charges) that you have to go through. Going to try my lexus dealer just encase.

hmmm difficult one. Nice to know some of us are in the same boat :)