Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all, well I'm just about to do it and buy one of these fab cars. Having checked out the specs against my budget, I think I'm going to get a Mk 3, hopefully for between 4 and 5 k with 80-120 k miles. Even some trade cars on www.autotrader.co.uk come with 12 months warranty (might not be worth much, but better than no warranty at all I guess), It just seems such good value.

Any way, does the Mk3 have a trip computer, giving overall MPG, MPH average etc. I just don't seem to be able to find any details about it any where. I've looked in a few brochures as well as on the lexus.co.uk web site where the different models are spec'd out in pdf files.

Does any one with an LS400 have a trip computer? What information does the trip computer give to the driver?

Thanks in advance,

Simon. :D

Hi all, well I'm just about to do it and buy one of these fab cars.  Having checked out the specs against my budget, I think I'm going to get a Mk 3, hopefully for between 4 and 5 k with 80-120 k miles.  Even some trade cars on www.autotrader.co.uk come with 12 months warranty (might not be worth much, but better than no warranty at all I guess),  It just seems such good value.

Any way, does the Mk3 have a trip computer, giving overall MPG, MPH average etc.  I just don't seem to be able to find any details about it any where.  I've looked in a few brochures as well as on the lexus.co.uk web site where the different models are spec'd out in pdf files.

Does any one with an LS400 have a trip computer?  What information does the trip computer give to the driver?

Thanks in advance,

Simon. :D

Hi Simon I have a mk3 97 and was surprised not to see a trip/fuel computer on such an expensive car when my old 95 omega did. Almost certain that the mk4 has, but im sure some of the guys will confirm this

Yep My MkIV has a trip computer plus if you use the touchscreen for the satnav there's a log of trips giving average speed, date, and I think distance. Every time you reset the trip computer it goes up in the log. Useful for making sure the garage haven't taken the car for a long drive when you have a service. Not sure if this bit is in the manual.

I've actually got my user manual by the computer as I'm doing a bit of revision. Every now and again I wonder about things in the car I haven't used in a while.

The computer gives:

range,

average fuel consumption,

current fuel consumption,

average fuel consumption since refueling,

distance since refuel,

elapsed time,

average speed.

:o It DOES have a trip meter, in fact TWO, it says in my manual wot I have 'ere!

But it doesn't have all those other bits. So you CAN work out tour mpg, etc, but not via computer.

So!! That's one less thing to go wrong!

But when you're driving this car, all those concepts pale into insignificance, as you cruise in such absolute comfort and surety.

If you can find a Series Three for-say- £6k, you're quids in! Can cost £12k! (Mine cost £10 with 50k miles on. I spent ages researching getting one. decided that the series 3 was the best choice. It's better (quicker, more economical, quieter, etc etc than the series 2. )Sure the ser 4 is yet more, but it's more dosh....at the moment. I love mine. Just got in from re-gassing the Air con. Chilled! Now THAT'S automatic! Great stereo too (my major interest; you can hear all the details) AND it goes like....well as fast as you'd ever need a car to go, effortlessly. And it's so well built and reliable...

O.K? Get out and buy it (check service records carefully, but usually it's some fashion conscious person wanting a 'newer' car, like a Merc. ) I'm keeping mine for 10 years+ :driving: :zee:

Thanks Chris, Does your manual say how the car will give information about Fuel usage. If not, I would suspect that the Trip meters are infact 2 mileometers?? What do you think??

Oh And the MkIV has two trip meters too.

I had a test drive of a Mark III (I think) and the suspension was a lot softer.

You do tend to feel more bumps in the MkIV but I'd say the handling is more interesting.

I don't tend to drive on the limit but so far it's suprised me how well the MKIV will take sweeping bends and sharp turns especially for this big a car. If you do drive like a lunatic in the MkIV be ready to buy a new set of tyres soon. It's big and heavy and the tyres take a bit of punishing.