Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Proud Parent To A Mark Iv Lexus 400

:driving:

Finally got my hands on my new car on last Saturday - R reg - Mark IV Lexus 400 . 162K miles on the clock but all I could afford.

Struts have been replaced and last owner said he had the cambelt changed about 10k ago but could Moderators tell me whether this model has anything else to watch out for in the coming months.

Many thanks - SimonT2

Had my 'R' reg Mk IV just over a year, and it goes beautifully. Had a slight leak causing a rain drip at the passenger side front door tweeter, but a discrete bit of sealant seems to have this fixed. I got the latest CD for the SatNav when I bought my car - worthwhile I felt, but not cheap. At that mileage, I'd be inclined to let a Lexus dealer do a 'B' service on it to give it a thorough going over, if it hasn't recently had one already. Make sure you've got the stereo security code :tsktsk: and the locking wheel nut adapter (if you've got a locking wheel nut). The only other thing I bought was a telescopic wheel nut wrench (£6) and a socket (21 mm I think on the 17'' rims - bigger than most standard wheel nuts which are 17 / 19 mm), the provided wheel nut wrench handle is reasonably short and I was just about jumping up and down on the damn thing trying to get the nuts off without success (dealer used the air wrench to torque up the nuts so tight couldn't shift them !). Hope that helps ! It's a cracking car.

Edited by ColinBarber

:D ....this is what to look out for! A big grin on your face! (Or a quiiet feeling of contentment?) It's always a worry. If you know which Lex dealer previous owner used, could check with them. Pity the USA system of all dealers being able to check ANY car isn't here (is it?) Tyres and balance/tracking?

Other than that; these cars are VERY well engineered. Have a look underneath too, though a 98 car shouldn't have much wrong there. Change all the fluids, if they look tired, and every 5-6000 miles or yearly?

Look at the Lexuscarcare site. Get used to ample power just sitting there untapped most of the time. Get freaked out on M-Way at 90 when you can kick-down and reach 120 in seconds!

Other than that...? Nothing much to expect!! B) :)

The only other thing I bought was a telescopic wheel nut wrench (£6) and a socket (21 mm I think on the 17'' rims - bigger than most standard wheel nuts which are 17 / 19 mm), the provided wheel nut wrench handle is reasonably short and I was just about jumping up and down on the damn thing trying to get the nuts off without success (dealer used the air wrench to torque up the nuts so tight couldn't shift them !). Hope that helps ! It's a cracking car.

I've had the over tightened nut problem too on a VW. I couldn't turn the thing, broke a socket. Couldn't budge it. Eventually sold the car without having removed that wheel.

Could potentially damage the wheel. Try and insist on them not using air wrenches. The Guildford garage tightened my nuts to the correct torque without needing to be asked.

No problems at all of note with mone except for sagging drivers seat (redone under warranty) but that is due to, might I suggest, LS drivers being larger than the average and sagging rear springs (again replaced under warranty). And just to increase that smile even more I did a run earlier this week from home near Oxford to Great Barr in Birmingham, down to Kettering across to Cambridge and back home again a distance of about 310 miles and got 32.6mpg YES it's a 3 at the start!!! and no I wasn't pussy footing around and I came back cross country from Cambridge not round the motorways.

No problems at all of note with mone except for sagging drivers seat (redone under warranty) but that is due to, might I suggest, LS drivers being larger than the average and sagging rear springs (again replaced under warranty). And just to increase that smile even more I did a run earlier this week from home near Oxford to Great Barr in Birmingham, down to Kettering across to Cambridge and back home again a distance of about 310 miles and got 32.6mpg YES it's a 3 at the start!!! and no I wasn't pussy footing around and I came back cross country from Cambridge not round the motorways.

Yes my dad's has also seen over 30MPG, these things are incrediblely fuel efficient for the weight and size of car, but still, would we expect less from superior Japanese engineering?

No problems at all of note with mone except for sagging drivers seat (redone under warranty) but that is due to, might I suggest, LS drivers being larger than the average

Yep if you travel in first class on the trains the seats are too big and more blokes pick their nose than in standard class.

I have had 2 LS400s + an LS430, no bother with any of them, but non of them as many miles as the one you are thinking of. I have a Merc S430 now. Can't wait to return to LS, the merc rides bumps better, but the LS is superior in every other way. Dont talk to me about Merc reliability !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARRRRGGGG.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links