Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front Tyre Wear

doobs

My IS200SE Manual is now 9.5 months old and the front two tyres in particular are showing noticeable wear on the outside edges and slightly less wear on the inside edges. The tyres are Bridgestone Potenza RE040 215/45ZR17 (fiited from new) and I check the pressures every few weeks. I am not a hard/fast driver - the car is used for family motoring on albeit mainly shorter journeys. The car has currently done about 7.5k miles and I think I will be lucky to get much more than 10k out of them - the rears are faring better though. I am not looking forward to the propsect of new tyres after 10k miles. The fronts also have small cracks in the tread lines - I remember reading about this point b4 but can't remember the answer.

Any comments/ is this normal wear??

mines showing similar wear. I pumped the tyres up to what it said on the sticker inside the door and I think it is far too high. Have you checked your pressures? What should the correct pressures be. I think if they aren't too high, I will get my alignment checked.

mines showing similar wear. I pumped the tyres up to what it said on the sticker inside the door and I think it is far too high. Have you checked your pressures? What should the correct pressures be. I think if they aren't too high, I will get my alignment checked.

i put 32,33,in mine pete my man :winky:

I have a 2002 model. It scrubbed its first set of tyres within 4 months of me getting it. Lexus said the camber neded looking at, and it cost me £200. Then all was fine. Got a new set of Michelins on the front in May this year. Last week i had what i thought was a puncture on the front right, went to change it for the spare, and saw the steel bands sticking thru what was left of the tyre. A strip 1 inch wide all the way round the inside down to metal. I have done about 5k miles since they were changed. checked the other side and its the same. Waiting for Lexus to tell me that the camber needs re-adjusting.

The IS200 front tyres are prone to wear on the inside edge.

However I had the same problem as Doobs with the Bridgestones originally fitted to my car. I first noticed it at 2K the outside edge showed signs of hard wear, so I had the tracking checked by a Lexus Centre and they confirmed it was OK.

I managed to get 15K out of them and at this milage the rears needed replacing as well. I had the tracking checked again at this point and all was still OK. I have fitted Dunlops SP9000 as replacements and have now done 1.5K on these - so far so good no signs of uneven wear.

I also noticed the small cracks appearing in the rubber on the Bridgestones.

if the tyres are wearing on the inside or outside edges then the camber adjustment os not within the limits - i have done close to 60k and have never had tyres tha were scrubbed on the inside or outside - get the camber checked somewhere that uses laser aligning, dont use a mechanical aligner.

If it's within spec then get it adjusted to the middle of the range or nearer positive than negative to stop the inside wear. The car is set with negative camber to improve handling but slight inside wear is a result.

I have had uneven front tyre wear on my I S 200 Sport cross at under 10,000 miles. Inner edges of both front tyres worn over last 2000miles.

Local dealer has re set tracking and charged me for one new tyre and fitted one FOC.

Still on original Bridgestones although dealer fitted Dunlop 9000's

Excessive wear was attributed to pot holes in uk roads - should only drive on Motorways!!

:yawn:

• 2 weeks later...

I also read that this is a known problem with Lexus wheels due to the camber. I recently purchased my IS200 SE with 4mm on the fronts and 6mm on the rears (all on the inside edges) left to go.

Being new to the whole uneven tyre wear game, is it not possible to get the tyres changed around so that the unworn edges wear down or will this result in a 'V' shaped tyre with the whole tyre not touching the tarmac?

• 3 weeks later...

It has ben pointed out to me on a recent MOT that both inside edges on front tyres have worn heavily, balance of tread is fine after 13K. All four tyres were brand new when l bought the car 12 months ago.

One rear has 2mm the other approx 4mm.

Lexus have told me this is normal due to the sports nature of the suspension set up, but at £100+ per tyre this is going to be expensive, as the two front tyres are almost on the steel bands.

All tyres are Dunlop Sport 9000, l will be having the tracking laser checked, if this is OK then l will get the camber checked.

KH

I am now experiencing the same problems with the front tyres inner block of tread. The tyres should not wear out like this (my opinion). What :tsktsk: me off is the fact if you take it to a dealer they will charge you for dealing with the problem. (when the problem was has been with the set up from day one) I don't mind paying out for new tyres when I know that I have had good wear out of them, but when I see the rest of the tyre still has another 10 to 20K left on them and having to replace them due to dealer saying that the car is set up like that is simply crazy.

Right, I'm going out now to calm down.

:mellow::mellow::mellow::mellow::mellow::mellow::mellow::mellow::huh:

• 3 weeks later...

I am an instructor in wheel alignment and geometry theory, the tyre wear issues

in the forum fall into the realm of enlightenment i teach and preach every day?

Most tyre wear problems are descibed as wheel alignment problems and are

addressed by the same means of corretion (wrong) any form of measerment must

be a full wheel geometry so all or any figures are globle, front wheel alignment is

one of over 15 angles that support the cars geometry, and in many cases may be

found to be wrong if tyre wear is noticed, but since all the geometry angles of the

car are shared there will be an influance between them, example being, if camber

leans, it's points of aplication means it will also toe, so if the toe (wheel alignment)

is measured and corrected this will still leave the camber issue, which can only be

detected on a full wheel geometry, lexus in the maurfactering found that the cars

geomatry will not stay stable, and will be subject to correction, all this said and done, there is no such than as a setting for any angle in any geometry?, all figures

offerd by lexus are purley a suggestion and need to be customized applying tolerances within the range lexus calutate, this means my driving style, weight,

area, speed, maintenance differ from yours, then so must the geometry, one more thing the geometry angles dont care what make of tyre you use, the only differance will be the cost of the loss???

Hope I've helped

Tony Bones

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the 200 sport for the past 18 months and have had on going problems with front tyre wear on the inside edge.... problem is that you can't see the wear unless you put the steeering on full lock

First time it happened I didn't even realise & had a high speed blow out (scary one!) on the n/s wheel... checked the o/side and it was down to the metal thread.

Took the car back to Lexus... got angry... etc etc & they did a deal on two new tyres.... but 10,000 miles later these wore through

.... another 10,000 miles & the same thing!

Tracking/camber has been checked each time - all Lexus would say is that it is the nature of the car & the way that it is set up.

... anyone want to by a Lexus... its up for sale now & I'm getting an Audi (sorry!)

Shame, I love the car but just too much £££'s in tyres - it wold have been more palatable if Lexus had warned me about this I would have lived with it.

Happy days :)

My IS200SE Manual is now 9.5 months old and the front two tyres in particular are showing noticeable wear on the outside edges and slightly less wear on the inside edges. The tyres are Bridgestone Potenza RE040 215/45ZR17 (fiited from new) and I check the pressures every few weeks. I am not a hard/fast driver - the car is used for family motoring on albeit mainly shorter journeys. The car has currently done about 7.5k miles and I think I will be lucky to get much more than 10k out of them - the rears are faring better though. I am not looking forward to the propsect of new tyres after 10k miles. The fronts also have small cracks in the tread lines - I remember reading about this point b4 but can't remember the answer.

I have a IS200SE which is just 2 yrs old. Your tyre wear is due to the "set up" of the front geometry. If you view your car from the front, you will see that the wheels squat out at the bottom. This allows you to corner like you are on rails, but your tyres suffer. Advise - rotate front to back every 6000 miles to "flatten off" tyres. I'm currently looking for new tyres....but I have been told that I MUST but the Japanese Dunlop SP9000 sport !....ehhhh. Hope this helps !

Whilst it is true the IS has a negative camber which aids handling it should only wear the inside down a little (maybe 1mm less than the outside). On some cars it doesn't happen at all and they can get 20-30k miles from the tyres and others it will wear down the tyres within a few thousand miles.

The spec give quite a wide range of allowable camber and I would advise this is set towards zero even if your vehicle is 'within spec'.

Dunlop SP9000 do come in Lexus OEM and regular. The Lexus ones will cost about £10 and are meant to suit the car more. However you can use the normal ones or better still use something that handles better like Toyo Proxes or Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3.

My IS200SE Manual is now 9.5 months old and the front two tyres in particular are showing noticeable wear on the outside edges and slightly less wear on the inside  edges. The tyres are Bridgestone Potenza RE040 215/45ZR17 (fiited from new) and I check the pressures every few weeks. I am not a hard/fast driver - the car is used for family motoring on albeit mainly shorter journeys. The car has currently done about 7.5k miles and I think I will be lucky to get much more than 10k out of them - the rears are faring better though. I am not looking forward to the propsect of new tyres after 10k miles. The fronts also have small cracks in the tread lines - I remember reading about this point b4 but can't remember the answer.

I have a IS200SE which is just 2 yrs old. Your tyre wear is due to the "set up" of the front geometry. If you view your car from the front, you will see that the wheels squat out at the bottom. This allows you to corner like you are on rails, but your tyres suffer. Advise - rotate front to back every 6000 miles to "flatten off" tyres. I'm currently looking for new tyres....but I have been told that I MUST but the Japanese Dunlop SP9000 sport !....ehhhh. Hope this helps !

just the facts, the IS200 has a very small negitive front camber angle, and if visable deviation from the vertical can be seen then you do have a problem? the wear on the front tyres seems to be wheel alignment, or under inflation, the later the most probable, tyre pressure is standard at front 33 rear 33 psi, this is only the standard settings, and you need to apply adjustments, in respect to tyre wear and alignment is concerned? seems overwhelming but control of your driving style will be reflected in the wear of the tyre, conclusion, if the front wheel alignment is correct? and you regularly test the tyre pressures, if inner or outer wear is apparent? then up the pressure by one or two pounds, No more,stay within the min, max load tyre settings offerd by lexus, they are the safe settings but they cannot forsee the load and style of the driver, the cracking in the tread line may just simply be underinflation has been an issue, as the stress on the tyre will leave some form of evidence, also in the realm of saftey check the tyre date? on one side of EVERY tyre is a date of manufacture, this may read DOT1204? what this means is this, 12 is the week the tyre was made and 04 the year, all tyre manufactures only guarentee the tyre for five years as far as general use is concerned, after that then it's user beware, good, bad and for some real sad?

hope i've been of help?

true to say i dont think your tyre wear issue is geometry related (that's good)

if your not sure, then see my site wheels-inmotion.co.uk and read for yourself?

Tony Bones,

NB. one more thing, the bridgestone a (Japanese) made tyre is not the one for the UK, main problem apart fron the low mileage is that they tram line real bad, Pirelli P6000 is the best replacement, not the most expensive by far, the tyre was built for the executive car, Jag, Bmw, and then some, and gives really good customer feed back, over the last two years or so. good pedigree i think?

A very smart man indeed...

Like Matt C, I do re-check my alignment ecery so often, normally 6 months or 5K miles.

When are you going again Steve...i'll tag along if thats o.k.though i'd like to go sooner than later.?

scorpion, since i lost all my mail when the comp hard disc went to disc heven, i also lost the profile that i setup for your IS200? when you had the car lowerd did you have the geometry re-set, if so was it to standard settings? if yes on the geometry print what was the reading for toe-out-on turns, also what wheel size did you have before 16" or 17", from all this i can base the geometry settings for the 18" camber toe kpi= scrub radius