Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mpg

Because last week was not exactly Summer I had the opportunity to run the whole week without aircon.

I always topup on a Sunday morning, gun upside down, fill to the click and then drizzle a bit more in until it clicks again therefore hopefully putting in exactly what was used.

The result was 34.6 MPG compared to 32.4(ish) with aircon on.

My normal route is not town driving but takes in mostly motorways and fast dual carriageways/A roads.

Luvvly Jubbly :)

Kremmen,

34-35 Mpg???, are you being towed?

I only manage to scrape the mid - late twenties, the best I have done is 400 miles on a tank which entailed mostly motorway miles.

Whats your secret?

I did see Top Gear a month or so ago and Mr Clarkson managed to do London - Scotland return (800 miles) on 1 tank of fuel in a A6 TDI - incredible. He passed on some good tips on saving fuel - thats if you are as tight as a nats chuff and do not want to drive the Lex how it should be driven.

I, myself, fall between both categories!

I use my car almost completely about town, so struggle to get 300 miles out of a tank. However, the last week I've been using esso unleaded (which I don't normally use), and with no change in driving style, I've managed to get to 320 miles, with at least another 30 in the tank still. How is that possible?

Over the last few weeks I have been to Devon and back, Wales and back then Cumbria and back. On each occassion I filled the tank up and got just over 420 miles out of each journey. I have no idea what mpg that equates to but am happy with it.

These were mostly motorway miles and because I am a tight fisted ****, a fair bit of coasting down hills.

Normal everyday to and from work I get about 330-340ish miles out of a tank.

I regularly manage 27-28 mpg around town in London with a bit of light footed driving. I have managed 34mpg from a London-Lake District crusing at 75-80 with no traffic jams. It was pedal to metal driving, but it wasnt light footed driving either.

I average around 31mpg (motorway and town) on long runs 34 - 35mpg is usually. but bear in mind that summers here and the a/c now on that normal take 1 or 2 mpg.

As sad as it maybe, I log my fill-ups to monitor mpg. I'm actually considering changing my car cos of the poor mpg. I average 26mpg. I hate filling up to leave it to the last minute (usually 3 or 4 litres left in tank) and can get 330 miles out if booting it or have managed 436 miles when driving like my nan. This is all on about 65 ish litres. I have found that mpg increased until the first 10k miles and then has got worse since (now almost 40k) but maybe I drove more carefully in the beginning! Either way, costing me lots in petrol so considering changing (sorry to say) to something that will be consistently over 30mpg.

Great :angry:

I thought the car's economy would improve after it had been run in properly. I got it with 5,500 on it and have only put 3,000 on it myslef.............. was looking forward to 25+ mpg when I got to 20K miles :sick:

Its back to plan B so................ the Starlet Engine! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Great :angry:

I thought the car's economy would improve after it had been run in properly. I got it with 5,500 on it and have only put 3,000 on it myslef.............. was looking forward to 25+ mpg when I got to 20K miles :sick:

Mine has just topped 6K miles and has loosened up.

Can now get 450-500 miles out of a tank. The last two tanks I;ve run until a splutter, then put exactly 35 litres in, which has resulted in 250 miles until the next splutter.

If driven carefully you can get pretty good fuel consumption from the IS200. I managed over 40mpg (40.09 to be exact!) a few weeks ago and last week got over 35mpg despite towing a boat for over 250 miles.

I only use the air con occasionally and find that I actually get much better consumption in the Summer than the Winter.

I suspect the biggest problem with the car is that it demands to be driven hard and if you give in to that demand your consumption will rise.

These were mostly motorway miles and because I am a tight fisted ****, a fair bit of coasting down hills.

Interestingly... You'll get more mpg with the car in (a high) gear going down hill with no throttle than coasting...

I never realised this before but a number of people have mentioned this to me recently. :yawn:

I don't have any particular secret.

My journey is almost immediately onto a 50mph flat dual carriageway (A312), then a couple of miles on the M4, left onto the M25 at j15 which has a large section restricted to 40mph which helps, off at j11 and a steady 50mph down the A320 into Woking. Bottom line is a steady journey of 20 miles at 50 - 70 mph.

Because I start early the whole journey is virtually non stop. Coming home is a different matter but I rarely get tangled up in anything serious due to a TrafficMaster.

I have been sad and adding to a spreadsheet weekly where I log miles covered, litres put in. I calculate this weeks MPG, average MPG, when the next service is due (currently calculated at 25/12/04!). My average MPG since January is 32.4 so last week was rare.

Hi guys, I'm new here so please excuse if this is out of date, recently bought my IS200 its got 9500 miles on the clock and I'm getting about 320mile from a tank (till the light comes on) I'm using BP Petrol and it's costing me about £45 to fill it up. I have to confess to previously owning an old Volvo T5 (Bit thrashed and tatty) which only got about 350 from £65 worth of fuel so the IS is plenty better for me and miles better on the build quality and equipment!

Kind Regards Crookieboy.

I think 320 miles on 60 litres equated to about 25mpg, as I said I've only had the car about 2 weeks and its been pretty much all town driving, I've been driving it fairly hard, probably harder than the T5 cos it handles better, 25 is ok for now I'm sure as the novelty wears off I'll be a little more sober with the right foot (nah!). Also mine is an auto (sorry forgot to say)

Regards Crookieboy

35mpg??? :huh:

Those are more than 1000km on a tank.... :ohmy:

Sorry can't believe.... those would be 6.7ltrs/100km and this is far under test consumption. :blink:

I think you live on a huge mountain and you shut off the engine when rolling down to your work every morning..... and pull it with a pickup when you get home in the evening..... :shifty: :P