Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Keys

Better get a new key. If you lose your only key it will cost you £££ as you will need to replace the immobiliser (built in to engine ecu) as you need a master key to program new ones.

Also ask the dealer to remove the missing keys from the central locking/alarm memory so they cannot be used.

Hi!

This is my first post here. I got my one year old IS200 Sport a month ago.

Like the poster my dealer only gave me one key with the car with the promise that a second one would turn up in a few days. To cut a long story short, one month and several phone calls later the key failed to materialise (the previous owner/company never returned it) so the dealer sent off for a new one.

So it appears that they have a vehicle register from which they can work out the key code and cut a new key (without needing the car or any other key). However this new key cannot start the vehicle until it is programmed in, and that does require the car and a master key.

As the previous poster mentioned they wiped off the memory of the missing master and valet key from the immobiliser while registering the new master. So while those keys could open the car they would not be able to start it. I am not sure whether the alarm could be disabled with the old keys.

I've no idea as to cost as in this case the dealer that sold me the car bore the cost or charged it elsewhere.

I would argue that if you bought the car as a Lexus Approved Used car you should have at least two keys. End of story.

Cheers

Mark