Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

810 Quid For Four New Alloys And 4 Quality Tyres

My alloys are totally crap and not covered by warranty as my IS200 se is 5 years old. I've been thinking of refurbing them for a while and nipped into a local tyre and alloy place near me for quote. They can get them refurbed by sending them to a place called 'spit and polish' in Kent who apparently do a good job. The alternative is get brand new alloys - the ones he recommended were by TSW. I have no idea if they're any good, but there are some nice looking options. I also need new tyres and asked about those as well. the quotes I got were:

4 new alloys and 4 dunlop sp9000 - £810

My alloys refurbed and the dunlops - £625

These seemed pretty reasonable. I was surprised that there wasn't too much difference between the quotes. Is TSW a good alloy?

Anyway, could anyone comment on these prices - any good? TSW alloys Ok?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Well, if you stick to the general rule of not paying more than £50 per alloy when refurbishing, you can then work out the cost of the tyres.

Do you know which TSW alloys as they have many designs They're well made though but I guess it comes down to personal preference on the look of them.

I used to have TSW Imolas with Pirelli's then Avons on my MK3 Golf... they were a bitch to clean though - too many spokes!

Mate, he's given me the brochure and as far I'm aware I could have most of the ones on there for that. I may have got that wrong though.

The ones he showed me were called 'R action' - 5 spokes, looked ok, nothing spectacular though.

The multi-spoked ones look great but the cleaning implications worry me a bit.

Ugh... cleaning multispokes on a weekend is not my idea of fun. Then again it's my fault for leaving so much time in between cleaning the car!

As long as you use an upgraded set of pads (Mintex are good!) and clean your alloys regularly, you shouldn't have too much of a prob with them.

Crikey, I though that wasa good price.

Surely, the Dunlop tyres must be 100 quid each, so 400 quid for new alloys isn't bad is it?

Mind you, I know naff all about this really, which is why I'm asking!

I appreciate the advice.

:o ....and e-bay for a variety of choice? Trouble is; we live in an age where we feel we've got to keep consuming in order to feel we're alive! DRIVING is what cars SHOULD be about, not posing with what (you think is) 'cool'-this week. Next week, not? You could enjoy two weeks in the mountains in Spain, sampling the fresh air and fine food for £800! (Well, I would!)

Get yr wheels refinished?

Yours, sounding suspiciously old and cranky,

Chris! :whistling:

Chris, I see your point and it's a valid one, but it's going to cost me over 600 quid for the refurb job with tyres anyway, :huh: so for a bit more I'm thinking get new alloys on there. :)

p.s I'm not too bad on the old and cranky stakes either. :huh: