Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have one of the last Mk1 GS300s and it is 'Damask Red' which is a colour that really does not fit well with any nice alloys etc. I am going to keep the car for another couple of years, so I wondered if anyone knew approximately how much it would cost for me to get it resprayed with a decent colour so that I can start adding some alloys and other mods to the car.

An associated question - has anyone modded their engine to increase power and what effect did that have on your insurance premiums? My last renewal (last month) was £450pa fully comp, but if a mod pushes to £800 etc then I may not bother.

Any help appreciated.

TL.

Re-sprays generally are not hugely expensive, but probably more than it's worth on something of this age, especially to get it upto original Lexus standard.

I would recommend though getting another GS300 in a colour you prefer, as trying to sell a car on like this in the future if it's been re-sprayed could be difficult and certainly worth less.

I agree.

It surprises me how many members on LOC seem to take fully re-spraying a car so lightly. A car that was re-sprayed will drop greatly in value and I for one would never consider buying one. Its ok to do a bonnet, wing, bumper etc. It would be virtually impossible and very expensive to paint the whole car to the same original standard.

but the original standard isn't that great!

Paint on the age was quite good. It's only the newer water based paints that have problems and even then the finish is normally very good straight out of the factory.