Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have Lexus foot mats in my RX300 Mj 1 (i.e. the additional accessories to protect the original carpeting). They match the carpeting - in an utterly impractical cream colour!

Although I hoover them frequently, after 2 years they definitely need a good clean. There is no information about the mats on the reverse side (which is rubberised, I think). I'm tempted to bung the mats in the washing machine and see what happens.

But before taking the plunge (so to speak) I wonder whether anyone has done this and can offer advice?

Thanks,

They may go a bit out of shape. I've put mine in the bath before with washing powder, left to soak and then scrubed them and they were fine as they were kept flat. They do take a while to dry out though.

I normally use a power washer on mine, along with carpet shampoo but as Colin stated, take about 4 days to completely dry out though. Normally place on a load of carboard and then in either the airing cubboard or on top of the rads.

I have the cream mats in my RX I use 1001 carpet cleaner. It tells you to put the solution into a bowl then whisk it up into a foam. Then just sponge the foam onto the mat, let it soak in then brush it off when dry. They are done overnight and the results are brilliant.

GOSH! What a site! That was my first post, having just joined the site, and I get three very helpful replies within a short space of time. My thanks to the three kind respondents: I'm most grateful for your advice based upon experience.

That's got me hooked on this site!

• 2 weeks later...

By way of conclusion, I report on the washing of the cream floormats. Both mats were in the same condition - 2 years' wear, although having been vacuum cleaned fairly frequently.

In view of the range of advice which Members kindly offered, I tried both methods: carpet shampoo diluted foam applied with a sponge, and vaccuumed when dried; and the same application (by sponge) of the carpet shampoo foam, immediately blasted off by power washer spray.

Obviously, the first method was much quicker overall because it took far less time to dry. The second method took 2 days to dry - one hanging on the washing line, and then in the airing cupboard.

Verdict: method 2 wins by a considerable margin! Much cleaner. And no ill effects for the mat.

Not surprising, really, given that the majority recommended it as the way to clean the mats.

Many thanks to you all.