Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

We Have The Technology To Rebuild It !

Chris.S

blimey, wondered what was going on, just had a proper read of the other thread i somehow missed. i certainly hope you get all of it if not most of it covered under your warranty, must have knocked you sick! hope it all gets sorted asap mate.

I seriously need help on this.

To get lexus to pay for the new engine i have got to get proof that the s/c is not the cause of two conrods coming thru the block.

I've also gotta prove that the s/c ecu lowers revlimiter as they say ive over revved it cruising at 70 mph

I've just emailed Freidel at TTE to ask for his assistance, but if anyone else can help it would be much appreciated.

Otherwise Im looking at a bill for at least 4 grand for a new block and pistons, a new cylinder head, an oil pump and 4 valves plus the labour :crybaby::crybaby:

I'm sure Friedel will do his best to help Chris - specially as they fitted it.

You have silver ecu i seem to remember - me too...

I know from experience it gently backs off the throttle rather than abrupt cut.

Given it's only 50rpm below stock cut, difficult to see on rev counter though.

If it would help, i'd volunteer my car to demonstrate what it does to Lexus.

Pretty sure they'd take advise from TTE over that though...

Surely the onus should be on them to prove it DID cause the problem.

With the number of cars similarly equipped, might prove difficult.

My guess is bottom end cap bolt sheared causing failure.

Chris - I am not an expert by any means. However I did a brief apprenticeship with a diesel engine manufacturer and I have seen this sort of damage due to bolts on the big-end of the con-rod failing. This causes the bolt to fly out, often taking chunks of the crankcase with it. Now, with the con-rod free to move, it often used to foul with an adjoining conrod causing that one to fail as well.

Can you check if there is obvious bolt failure?

Apologies if I am talking bollocks

Not much left of the caps, but it looks like either the caps have come loose apparently I've been over revving it or they have failed some other way

Why would the caps come loose voluntarily? 2 reasons IMHO

1. slow elongation of the bolt. Likely due to over torqueing causing plastic deformation leading to gradual failure. Material/manufacturing defect in the bolt. you could have this verified by a lab.

2. sudden failure of the bolt. again material/manufacturing defect and verifiable by a lab.

overrevving - there is a rev limiter isnt there in the ECU that cuts your engine speed. even if you have been revving the engine its always been held within its limits. a bolt is typically designed with a factor of safety, several times its anticipated load. i would be suspicious if a conrod bigend bolt failed for any reason other than over torqueing or manufacturing defect.

so are they then saying if u have ever hit the rev limiter then the engine wont be covered by warranty????

No, they are trying to say that I was over revving the car on that day to cause this failure or I've been doing it over a period of time, but there are no fault codes or ecu download to prove it, plus I have Aido as a witness and I've done 9000 miles without problems.

Why would the caps come loose voluntarily? 2 reasons IMHO

1. slow elongation of the bolt. Likely due to over torqueing causing plastic deformation leading to gradual failure. Material/manufacturing defect in the bolt. you could have this verified by a lab.

2. sudden failure of the bolt. again material/manufacturing defect and verifiable by a lab.

overrevving - there is a rev limiter isnt there in the ECU that cuts your engine speed. even if you have been revving the engine its always been held within its limits. a bolt is typically designed with a factor of safety, several times its anticipated load. i would be suspicious if a conrod bigend bolt failed for any reason other than over torqueing or manufacturing defect.

Apparently when the engine is finally rebuilt I've got to go out with someone from Lexus or something to prove the rev limiter actually works with the TTE ECU.

I suppose the first thing to do would be to prove to Lexus that the TTE ECU rev limiter works and take it from there.

I have a mech engg degree from India and i've been out of touch for about 9 years now so dont take anything I say as the final world. but this sort of thing is a fairly fundamental thing in the mechanical engineering world. i suppose anyone who works in the manufacturing sector should be able to help you with regard to recommending a materials testing lab.

sorry mate - cant be of much more help.

Chris,

I dunno how much it'll cost but we have a company we use called Burgoynes. Look at www.burgoynes.com for more info. They have an office in Ilkley that deal with material failures, theyshould be able to help.

Hi Chris

The casting on that block don't look all that thick, no wonder theres so many holes1

I wouldn't have thought it was anything to do with your S/C mate.They can create enormous pressures in an engine, but there are weaker points that would fail first.Were the pistons intact, or smashed? :o

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links