Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alloy Engine Parts

petejenkin

Ive found a place that can powder coat all my Alloy Engine Parts, I figure this will be better than polishing as it would mean loads of maintenance otherwise.

What I need to know chaps, is what is the approximate maximum surface temperature of the cam cover ? The reason is that the powder coating is cured at around 180 - 200 degrees C, and that after curing, the coating can start to break down if its temperature raises to the cure temperature again.

As blue is my chosen second colour, I think my alloy would be nice in a shade of blue, dont you think.

I only found out last night that the chap who lives across the road from me does it at his workshop, and anodises bolts and anything else.....lucky me :winky:

mmmm think that u might be pushing it a bit, ill be honest i dont know the temp of the head, but do think it will be near the range u have given. ill see what our digi themometers go upto and let u know.

MY Exhaust Gas Temp Gauge reads up to 600 degrees C (plugged into manifold).... Not what you asked for, but gives you an idea...

:mat: ............

the rocker cover wont get that hot zee...............

I think that it would be unadvisable to heat the head up to those temps unless you were willing to have them jigged and re-machined. Might as well just have it sprayed properly or as was said b4 hard anodised.

Its the same with alloy wheels, so many cowboys offer powder coating but over heat the wheels causing hairline fractures and then shattered wheels when you hit sumfin.

• 2 weeks later...
BUT DO YA WANNA RUN THE RISK!!

i mean how much is it gonna cost to put it right.

there are lots of cowboy powder coaters out there thats all

I shall be doing my own stuff first just to make sure.

Ive just spent near on 9k on powder coating, anodising and chroming facilities, and hope that we wont be labelled as cowboys. Im a ISO9001 Registered company and I won the small business awards this year, so cowboy doesnt really enter into my vocabulary. :winky:

Ive just spent near on 9k on powder coating, anodising and chroming facilities, and hope that we wont be labelled as cowboys. Im a ISO9001 Registered company and I won the small business awards this year, so cowboy doesnt really enter into my vocabulary. :winky:

ye ha wip my crack :lol:

ye ha wip my crack :lol:

thats good to hear. my uncle owns a extremely large engineering company that has a £4million powdercoating facility. so i have spoken with him many times about material suitability.

And the fact that i studied engineering for well over 3 years and watched materials warp under extreme heats under various conditions, i just thought i would add my pennys worth.

Good to know your not a cowboy, too many of them out there.

• 2 months later...

I think it would look very nice.

To get the full effect discard the bonnet to enable max air cooling of all the anodised covers.

By doing this you will also enable everyone to see your pride and joy as well as the service station attendants you ask to check your oil every 50 miles or so.

The bonnet may be worth a quid or two at Steptoe and Son which will offset your anodising costs.

Perhaps if you sliced the roof of it would also give a beter view of the leather upholstery from outside the vehicle and give you another three or four quid in scrap.

If this doesnt succeed get a Holden Import from Aus.

Cheers, Bri.

To get the full effect discard the bonnet to enable max air cooling of all the anodised covers.

By doing this you will also enable everyone to see your pride and joy as well as the service station attendants you ask to check your oil every 50 miles or so.

The bonnet may be worth a quid or two at Steptoe and Son which will offset your anodising costs.

Perhaps if you sliced the roof of it would also give a beter view of the leather upholstery from outside the vehicle and give you another three or four quid in scrap.

Cheers, Bri.

WTF ?

Cheers, Bri.

WTF ?

WTF indeed?

Good idea though - now wheres my grinder :whistling: