Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

For The Computer Techies

my computer refuses to acknowledge any dvd's in the dvd drive now..

I put a dvd in the dvd drive and the light will turn on as the drive engages, but the movie will not start on screen. Then after reading the dvd disc, the drive goes dormant.

I have WinDVd installed also windows media player. Both of these were on the Hewlett packard pavillion running Windows XP home edition, pentium 2.4, at first time of ownership, both win dvd and windows media player have played movies individually and were not overriding each other..

The comp states the drive is operating normally.

On right clicking on the dvd drive, it states there is no "target" field, does something need to be in here?

Dont know the manufacturer of the drive, came as OEM with the HP Pavilion when bought it..

The drive comes up on pc as HL-DT-ST dvd-rom GDR8161B

Any ideas please? this will be appreciated thanks.

right, ive reinstalled windows media player from microsoft website as it wasnt opening from the icon on desktop...

Now windows media player is working, I have placed many different dvd's in the drive (E drive).

It says for all, "no disc in drive (E)"

?////////????????////????????////////?????????/

go into control panel... then system... then open device manager... then click on the + by the cdrom icon and highlight the dvd drive... now click propertys then at the top of the box which is now open click on the settings tab and check that the auto insert notification box has a tick in it... if it does not the click on the box to put a tick in it then click apply.. hopefully this should sort you out... dont ask me why but windows seem to remove this every now and then for no apparent reason...

right, ive reinstalled windows media player from microsoft website as it wasnt opening from the icon on desktop...

Now windows media player is working, I have placed many different dvd's in the drive (E drive).

It says for all, "no disc in drive (E)"

?////////????????////????????////////?????????/

I had that problem the other day, just rebooted and it was working fine...

what windows are you running????? .. heres a screen capture of what i get... and as mine is set... its the auto notification bit that reads the disc and starts the film or program should it be of the auto start type..

post-71-1090360547.jpg

Had exactly this on my CD drive the other day. Turned out it was the data cable being slightly loose in the drive itself. The power cable was ok, so it lit up etc, just Windows coudn't see the CD.

Open the PC case, make sure the big flat grey cable in the back of the drive is pressed firmly home into the sockets. Worth a go before spending money!

Foun this in microsoft website, after search "DVD"

I have recently installed games involving directx graphics support, this is around the same time the system failed. I'll let you know how it gets on.

Issue with DirectX May Cause DVD Players To Not Work

Quick Info

File Name:

q329623_WXP_SP2_x86_ENU.exe

Download Size:

816 KB

Date Published:

12/5/2002

Version:

Q329623

Overview

This update resolves application compatibility issues with using multiple InterVideo applications created by Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1). Download now to make versions of InterVideo applications compatible with Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1).

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en