Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to pick your brains....

I've just returned from Lancashire where I've purchased a GS300 MK2 SE from a dealer for £7999. It was advertised as FSH in Autotrader online.

I picked the car up today from the dealers, and what with one thing and another didn't have a chance to check the service history (properly) until I got home.

Here's what I found.

Services completed :

7/9/98 - PDI (Perrys Motor Sales - Bradford) @ 0004 miles

14/9/98 - 1 month free service (Perrys Motor Sales - Bradford) @ 1304 miles

15/1/99 - A service (Perrys Motor Sales - Bradford) @ 9380 miles

29/6/99 - A service (Perrys Motor Sales - Bradford) @ 18,868 miles

Missing B service

Missing A service

9/4/01 - A service (Lexus Leeds) @ 45,569 miles

14/8/01 - B servoce (Lexus Bradford) @ 52,283 miles

22/7/04 - PDI service from dealer I have just purchased vehicle from (Non lexus)

I am VERY concerned as the vehicle is missing service history since 14/8/2001 to present date. Yes, I know I should have checked this properly when I was at the dealers but with 20 million bits of paper to sign and other distractions this was difficult.

Also, since getting the car home, the passanger side has complete overspray starting in the engine bonnet, door frames, right the way from the front of the vehicle to the back. This is only on one side of the vehicle which leads me to believe that it's had a pretty hard smash on one side? Whoever has repaired it hasn't done a very good job.

There is also red spray (the car is Tuscany Flame) on the exhaust. Even the door hinges on all doors look brand new.

I am going to ring the dealer in the morning to present him with these findings, but wanted to be sure of what my rights are before I go in head first.

Does the internet distance selling act apply? (I saw the vehicle advertised on autotrader on-line, called about it and left a credit card deposit).

Can I ask for a full refund as the car ISN'T as described. The advert actually states F.S.H !!!! It's most definately NOT.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated as I don't fancy throwing £8000 down the swanny !

Thanks again,

Mike.

Jeess, this is a hard one mate... Have a look for any untoward bends or kinks on the chassis underneath the car...

btw... it covered a few miles in its first year or so didn`t it??

Try not to worry too much mate, i won`t ask the dealer who you bought it off, for the details of the person THEY bought it off... ( If they did )

If they say they didn`t i would ask to see a reciept from WHERE they DID purchase the car...

If still in doubt i would get the AA or another "expert" to check the car over, stating your worries...

Good luck mate and fingers crossed

First up print the advert off Autotrader Online. Did it definately say FSh rather than service history ...... there is a difference.

Next call dealar ( was it a Lexus dealer ? ) and tell them they advertised it as FSH and it's not. Wait for their reaction ... don't say a thing more till they say something. If it's not what you want to hear then mention Trading Standards and wait again ..... if it's not what you want to hear I would contact Trading Standards in the area you bought it.

Hi Steve,

It says F.S.H not Full Service History. I thought this meant the same?

I've printed off the advert and kept a copy just in case.

I took the trouble to look for a car from a dealer to avoid all of this hassle. I thought this was why you paid the extra (Peace of mind!?!)...

Also he said the car came with a documented 3 months warranty. I haven't been given a thing !

Mike.

I would get the ball rolling as quick as possible if you want your money back you are intitled to it as it has not got a f.s.h.and was advertised as having one .do a HPI check on it in the morning with the aa ,and if it has had damage back the car .the law is on your side as you bought it from a dealer ,take no crap and insist on your money back .to be honest even if it has not been written of it still has missed two important services .did you pay for all the car by card or bankers draft

Hi mudzs,

I've HPI'd the car tonight. It's come back clear. No recorded damage (that doesn't mean to say that the car was fixed without insurance payout!)...

I paid £900 deposit by Amex (over the phone) and paid the balance with a bankers draft.

I am going to ring in the morning and ask about the overspray and service history (lack of!).

I'll update you all when I have one!

Cheers,

Mike.

Tony Hetherington had a problem where his IS200 was advertised as having full service history when it didn't. Don't know all the ins-and-outs, but he eventually got a different car. May be worthwhile dropping him a PM.

If you get a satisfactory answer in the end and you're happy keeping the car, you can get detailing clay which should help clear the overspray (www.lexuscarcare.com)

Hi,

Thanks for that Claire,

I've been onto the Garage today (and also trading standards). Apparantly, I have a good case for criminal proceedings due to the fact he's selling a that was advertised with Full Service History and it is missing most of it.

As for the other stuff, guess it's my fault. Rose Tinted Glasses 'n' all that.

We have come to an arrangement but it as cost me a few hundred quid to get out of the deal !

I will NEVER trust a dealer again.

Hmmmmm.... Why is it they have such a shoddy name again? Let me think!

Once this is done and dusted, I am going to "Name and Shame".

I am going to go to Lexus for my next one me thinks!. But WHY should we have to pay upto £4k extra just for the same year/mileage car just because it has a Lexus warranty? Peace of mind I guess?

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Mike.

Mike - I was saying the difference between FSH ( Full Service History ) and Service History ..... I phoned about a car this week that said Service History .......... discovered with a full simple questions it wasn't full :(

With regards to "But WHY should we have to pay upto £4k extra just for the same year/mileage car just because it has a Lexus warranty?" ---- unfortunately your posts here give the reason :(

There a lot of unscrupulous delears out there ( allegedly ) ...

Sorry to hear that it's cost you to get out - I would have been inclined to use the Trading Standards route - once they had started asking him questions he would given you a money and a profit :) I am sure there is a way to ensure that it costs him more than the few hundred quid even now :)

Thanks for that Steve. You're right about there being alot of unscrupulous dealers out there mind (allegedly !!!!)

Mudzs, what do you mean by "Backed the car" ? ...

I am taking it back tomorrow. I feel like filling full of HORSE $#!+ first !!! :angry::angry::angry:

Mike.

Thanks for that Steve. You're right about there being alot of unscrupulous dealers out there mind (allegedly !!!!)

I am taking it back tomorrow. I feel like filling full of HORSE $#!+ first !!! :angry::angry::angry:

Mike.

sorry yes i mean't have you given it back which you have .hope all go's well tomorrow ,put a nice fresh piece of fish in the air vent it will stink like hell in a few days and by then you will be long gone :)

I am taking it back tomorrow. I feel like filling full of HORSE $#!+ first !!!  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Mike.

sorry yes i mean't have you given it back which you have .hope all go's well tomorrow ,put a nice fresh piece of fish in the air vent it will stink like hell in a few days and by then you will be long gone :)

Fill a washing up bottle with talcum powder and squirt it (gently) down all the air vents and before you deliver it back close air vents and when you've parked it up and switched off turn all controls on high speed :D :D