Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sc Probs Again...

aido

OK guys, I'm getting a few probs with the blower again, basically those strange noises I posted about ages ago are back when letting off the throttle above 4.5k's.

Rob mentioned the supercharger belt was loose at the weekend so have tried tightening it up as much as it will go and it's still got the problem.

Last time Chris took a look and disassembled the spring assembly and then sprayed belt dressing on the belts and the problem went away for a month or so, but now she's back with a vengeance.

Also, some work was done at JAPS and the problem subsided but it's now back even with the new spring assembly fitted.

Are there any other ways of tightening the belt (I'm assuming this is the problem as I'm losing power) - tonight we undid the bolt a bit and pushed the pulley as far as it would go via the handle - there is no more room for it to move to the right now - is there more space for it to move on one side or something?

I'm going to pick up some belt dressing tomorrow and give that a go to see if that fixes the problem.

As for the spring assembly that was replaced last night with a new kit from TTE, except for the nut bit they sent as I don't know how that bit comes off - anyone?

Does the supercharger come with a manual - does it contain troubleshooting or anything (I didn't get one).

Any ideas who I should take the car to if the belt dressing doesn't fit the problem? I'm guessing the closest thing we have to a supercharger expert in the UK is TDI South - the dealer probably wouldn't have a clue.

To give you more ideas the noise comes in when letting off the throttle at 4.5k's and above, if I dip the clutch to dip the revs the noise goes pretty quickly, otherwise if I just sit there without pressing any pedals it will just keep making the grating noise until the revs start to drop off sufficiently.

First step for me will be to try the belt dressing tomorrow, then will take it from there but any other ideas in the meantime? I've checked the new spring assembly is snapping shut and it seems to be doing so with great force now the new spring is on there.

Thanks in advance for any help!

It's hard to describe mate, think I might be better off charging the camera tonight then trying to film it tomorrow so you can hear it, it doesn't sound like the kind of noise I'd have thought the bypass would make but when it happens it feels like the boost is gone, maybe I should get a boost guage ordered to see if that is the case or not?

Basically instead of the nice whoosh sound the charger makes when bypassing you get a horrible grating noise when changing gear - sounds like bits of metal rubbing together.

hi aido have you checked all the pipes and fittings around the s/c + intercooler mate ? did you sort the other probs you had with the acc/cable ? if you still having probs please give me a call as i am at my mates garage at the weekend (doing sideskirts+roof spoiler) i am 99.9% sure he can sort it out for you mate. please feel free to give me a call and we can sort something out ok mate ? (ps i am working thur+fri on days but you can still call me) cheers gordon

hi mate, if the belt is tight and u cant really twist it that much ( as i showed you at jae) then you can not really tighten it much further, the tensioner only moves to the right to tighten the belt ( right when facing the car , left if ur sitting in it)

i would check that all of the hose clamps on he pipework are tight and that the sleeves are on properly ie not near the ends of the piework, as the sc will only build up about 3psi in the system even a slight leak will have quite a dramatic effect on performance - if this worries you then it might be best to get some longer tubes/hoses for the pipework and really good quality wide clamps, I know tdi have tubing for the SC but dont know thier length compared to the standard ones.

as for the noise if its the same noise we heard when driving out of jae then im not sure what that is, its only there for a split second when changing gear, i think it is caused by air, would again check the connections of the bypass tube.

aido,

Try checking the bearing on the belt tensioner. Drop the belt off and give it a spin with your fingers, in both directions. Also check sideways play.

Also, does your belt look ok ?

Mines nowhere near full tension !.... just sounds a little suspect that yours has to be on full tension. :winky:

Thanks guys, will check out the connections, Gordon if you don't mind mate I'll give you a buzz tomorrow?

Got some video but it hasn't picked up the noise that much - will upload it earlier as need to edit.

Rob, this is the same noise mate that we heard before - but it sounds like she's getting worse - which is the bypass tube mate?

Just want to say a big thanks to Gordon and Steve :)

Steve's taken a look and my problem with loss of power was due to a couple of the hoses not being tight anymore and having nearly fallen off :o Rob called it again!

Would recommend Steve to anyone, top fella :)

All good now, she's back up to speed now as I spanked an Impreza at the topend earlier - think he was slightly surprised to see me gaining at 80+ - makes a change from just managing to beat a stock IS200!

And for you fella's with the SC and induction kit - do you get an almighty whoosh noise when you change gear at high revs? Sounds awesome but incredibly loud, no more of this quiet stuff for me :)

And for you fella's with the SC and induction kit - do you get an almighty whoosh noise when you change gear at high revs? Sounds awesome but incredibly loud, no more of this quiet stuff for me :)

nice aint it :)

even nicer to see the looks on peoples faces :lol:

steve who ?

steve who ?

Steve is the mechanic who fitted Gordon's supercharger (and fixed my problem) and is a top lad - will be using him for my MOT in September :)

And Mr SteveAX - you're welcome :) You fitted it yet mate?

Tell you what Chris if it's ote like mine you'll feel a right difference with the boost sorted - had been thinking I was slowing down due to excess pies for a minute :P

After seeing those cars today though it's made me feel a bit inadequate - will never race a Fiesta or Golf ever just in case it's had an engine transplant like a couple there today - **** and shovel are two words that came to mind for those 2 - they were spanking Porsche GT2's left right and centre!

When I stripped my charger down all the intercooler pipes were loose, nobody ever said they need to be checked and tightened after a certain amount of miles.

the problem is caused by a number of factors.

1. the clamps - they are cheap and do work loose, at jae there was a few stands selling some really good wide clamps and they were not expensive - something to look out for at other shows!

2. the hoses could be longer this will make it easier to position the clamps and also if long enough enable you to put 2 clamps on each end

3. the pipe work is only supported by the hoses, so movement will occur wich over time will loosen the clamps

Edited by fluff34567