Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Are you sure it's the brakes?

Have a look here, different type of noise but could be the same fix:

http://www.clublexus.com/index.php/article/view/1940/1/115/

It's deffo the brakes Col, cos I can immediately stop the noise by braking slightly - and it happens when I go over a bump, not when I change direction mate

gonna take the caliper off tomorrow and have a look

I also get a rattle from my front nearside wheel...........the suspension is fairly hard on the sport as you know and i've always assumed that its the brake caliper..........the rattle sounds like a a clatter......hope its not the suspension :unsure: ................... :geek: every time the car goes over a bump it clatters, is this the same experience you get?

BR

will

I had a look at that earlier thread, its def. a clatter not a click.

The pads shouldn't rattle about, the pad support plates (little clips at each end) make it quite a tight fit. Maybe they are worn or missing. It could even be the whole torque plate moving, worn sliding pins or the plate itself.

If everything feels tight when you have a look then grease the areas in the TSB, that will stop problems going over bumps and change of direction.

wills, if it's not the brakes it could be lower ball joints which are quite common to go, even more so on the sport due to the stiffer suspension and lower profile tyres.

Thanks Colin............i fear its the lower ball joints because everything feels tight and i had the pads renewed 4 mths ago, I dont know if this is a dim question but is there any way of examining the ball joints before it goes to the garage?

thanks will

Wills - do the same test as Rod, go over bumps with the brakes lightly applied and see if the rattle goes.

This is the procedure for testing ball joints. It's a Toyota TSB but the Lexus one is basically the same.

http://www.alldatadiy.com/alldata/AFI~G~C2...063452/96971911

The pads shouldn't rattle about, the pad support plates (little clips at each end) make it quite a tight fit. Maybe they are worn or missing. It could even be the whole torque plate moving, worn sliding pins or the plate itself.

If everything feels tight when you have a look then grease the areas in the TSB, that will stop problems going over bumps and change of direction.

wills, if it's not the brakes it could be lower ball joints which are quite common to go, even more so on the sport due to the stiffer suspension and lower profile tyres.

Can you buy the pad support clips separately from Lexus?

Seems like it's the floating half of the caliper rattling slightly - there's definitely enough play in it to make a metallic noise, and both sides are the same.

I reckon it's either supposed to be like that or needs new guide pins - I've read about anti-rattle kits (rubber bits) that are available for other cars.

Sounds about right.................I shall speak to lex hatfield tomorrow and mention the 'play' you described and see if this is a common or known noise - i'll let you know................

Cool mate - it'd be good to know what they say.

I read an artciale about an Audi owner who swapped the pads around (inboard to outboard) and it stopped the rattle?

Went to Lexus Hatfield this afternoon, said that my nearside brake rattles and think its the caliper.............2 mins later thay had the wheel off and the caliper apart!!........turns out that its the caliper thats worn, the pads are nearly new but there is a smallgap between the back of the pad and the inside caliper, hence the clatter.....we found that the noise does go away when the brakes are applied......the engineer said two options - pack it with grease and it will last for a couple of months or have new calipers at £150 each plus labour at £85 £per hr :o - or live with it :lol: .................engineer said its not a problem...its just annoying .....................i think grease is the way forward :lol:

(they are very helpful at Hatfield, nothing is too much trouble)

Jus thought I'd mention my experience with the clicking/clatter with the brakes - mine was when I braked gently going around a slow corner (like in a car park) I took mine to Lexus Hadleigh & they confirmed that it was wear in the calipers and they checked and confirmed that this was covered by the warranty :P . However this was last October and noise has re-appeared - been thinking about going back (although out of warranty) due to the fact that should have lasted more than 9 months :duh: Will let you know what happens as due for service & will ask then