Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Surface Scratches?

I now have my RX 300SE for two months with 2K on the clock, I must say I am happy with the car but not with the number of surface scratches that seem to be appearing daily, not deep into the paint-work but more so on the metallic surface glaze. My car has never been through a car wash and is washed weekly by hand, no I do not drive down narrow country roads and the car has had a protective polish put on it. There are also a number of stone chips on the front, (no chips on any previous cars) therfore I am left to wonder if Lexus's achiles heel is the paint work.

Lastly what is the correct tyre pressure, the manual says 32psi but the tyres look some what under inflated, even though I know they are low profile.

Yes the paint apparently is water based rather than oil, which seems to make it weaker. My dealer cited 'Environmental friendlyness' ...

Looks like a subscription to 'Chips Away' should be included along with the RAC. :winky:

Pity really as it is a great car which is difficult to fault.

Swirl marks - or scratches are quite common on dark cars depending what you use to wash the car. What are you using, cloth, sponge, brush etc and also what polish or wax you are using. Polish will scratch your car as it is mildly abrasive where as a wax is not.

swirl marks are caused by the silicons in your polish i expect.. what looks like swirl marks (but are silicone swirls) that have cut into the paintwork can be removed using clay bar and reapplying a better wax from here: http://www.lexuscarcare.com

The PS21 wax does not give this effect.

Does the paintwork look like it has spiderwebs in the sun?

The car is silver and I always use a cloth to wash and then dry off with a clean  leather chammy. It was only polished twice and it was with Turtle wax.

Hmmm - silver huh? Should not show the scratches too badly? I use two old towels to wash. One to shampoo and one to dry then both go in the washing machine EVERY time and if one is dropped on the ground then again straight to the washing machine.

For drying I use one of these

hydra_flexi_blade_1.jpg

and then the dry towel - older the better, more absorbant.

Then top things off with Swissol wax

Purrflect!