Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Parking Camera - How Good?

I had a drive in an RX300 during a Lexus open day. The camera was superb! I especially liked the way it would "draw" a square on the ground to show where the car would end up (so as you turned the wheel the square would move, very clever) - made parallel parking a doddle (even for something as big as an rx)... but that was between cones on a test circuit, I don't know if I'd trust it so much in real life.

I have one... it is great.

As already mentioned, the parking computer helps you in working out when to turn the wheel - and how far.

When you first have a go it is jaw dropping. I thought I was going to catch the front of the car, but it made it and the wheels were 1 inch from the curb.

Also, because of the size of the car, reversing in 'vertical' parking spaces is easy to. You know exactly how far you can go back, coupled with the wing mirrors tilting down to see low level at the side.

In my opinion it might have started off as a gimmick, but has been developed to be something useful that you do use.

NIght-Time

I was a bit scared to trust the rear view camera at first, but I'm used to it now. Ity makes parking so much easier. I get my car in places I wouldn't have thought it would fit in. A front camera would be nice too, it's hard to judge where the car ends.

In Japan, on the harrier, you can get front and side cameras and automatic parking too!

Had mine for 15 months now and although I haven't attempted to understand the parking aid lines and boxes I do use it for parking back up to obstacles and it is far more sensitive than the beeping sensors,

Wouldn’t be with out it now! Started off thinking it was not as good as 'beepers' but grew to like it and now it is fab. If you have it and have not bothered to learn how to use it properly i.e. both modes - street and car-park parking, then do so now! Once you have the knack it makes parking sooooo easy.

Oh and it's quite funny when you back up to another car and they panic because they think you are 'not looking' and then stop within inches of their bumper. :lol: