Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bigger Petrol Bill? Should I Buy A Rx300?

Apologies, this is my second question today as a new forum memeber who is still considering buying a RX300SEL.

At present I have a Mercedes Class coupe C200 Kompressor Auto. I do low mileage 10k a year. mostly do town and suberb driving. The onboard computer indicates to me that overall I return 26mpg.

I think I would like the luxury of the RX300 (about to test drive this weekend) but is my bank balance going to be dented considerably more from petrol bills?

The spec. states 16mpg ouch! is this really the case or is it even worse!

Maybe I should go for the MB ML270 diesel

Fuel figures for your car are 22,32,43mpg and you average 26.

The RX is 16,23,30 so I guess you are going to get around 19. That difference in mpg over 10,000 miles is around £520.

Bigger car, bigger engine and 4 wheel drive are going to use the fuel up so you will never get what you are at the moment. On a run you can get around 27mpg.

Hi LaTent,

I've had an ML (270CDi) for over 2 years now and have averaged 28mpg. In fact on a recent trip back from Scotland (sticking to speed limits etc.) I travelled 580 miles on a tankful. Could have got 600 (a la RX400h?) but 'bottled it' as trip computer doesn't count down to zero (just indicates fuel required).

Might not be as good an 'on road' drive as RX but I find it acceptable.

Cheers,

Dieter

I travelled 580 miles on a tankful. Could have got 600 (a la RX400h?) but 'bottled it' as trip computer doesn't count down to zero (just indicates fuel required).

The ML does have a 10 litre bigger fuel tank though.

If fuel consumption is such an issue why don't you just ease off the accelerator? 19mpg from a 2 litre sounds abysmal. I don't think I've ever had less than 23 mpg from a tankful on my RX300 (when I was doing 5 miles to work and 5 miles back) . On a run to Bridlington I got 31mpg, to Ilfracombe I got 30mpg and to Spain (at 85MPH through France) I got about 26mpg.

Others talk about the 3litre not having enough punch for the RX. I think they should get the SC and not be trying to push the size and weight of 4x4's about like sports cars.

I thought the Lexus experience was all about peace and serenity? Enjoy it.

:winky:

If fuel consumption is such an issue why don't you just ease off the accelerator? 19mpg from a 2 litre sounds abysmal. I don't think I've ever had less than 23 mpg from a tankful on my RX300 (when I was doing 5 miles to work and 5 miles back) . On a run to Bridlington I got 31mpg, to Ilfracombe I got 30mpg and to Spain (at 85MPH through France) I got about 26mpg.

Others talk about the 3litre not having enough punch for the RX. I think they should get the SC and not be trying to push the size and weight of 4x4's about like sports cars.

I thought the Lexus experience was all about peace and serenity? Enjoy it.

:winky:

As I said in my original post I get average of 26mpg form the C200K.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I don't expect the RX to perform like a Porsche and return good fuel economy. I am looking for luxury / performance compromise on a vehicle that pulls away swiftly enough form islands and junctions to be safe.

I take test condition mpg stated on spec. sheets with a pinch of salt. It is always good to hear what happening in the real world!

Given the costs worked out above........

£520 per year or, to use the sales trick, £10 per week. Not much is it when you are spending at least £30k on the car?

Once you have it you will think £10 extra each week is MORE than worth it.

Go on - you know you want to!