Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacing The Clutch

Craig W

What kinda job is it replacing the clutch on an IS200 (99 V)? Any particular tools required?

Mines on its last legs, and rather than paying Lexus to do it, ive got someone who's very good mechanically willing to have a go at it.

Also, does anyone know the cost of a clutch? And the cost if i were to get it done at lexus?

Thanks in advance for you help :)

Hi,

I just had it replaced last week at some 80.000km because it was giving me more slip at high rev's then I bargain for. At the Lexus Gent, Belgium garage they (actually 1 guy, assisted by a 2nd mechanic when the gearbox needed to be lowered) did the job in a small 3 hours period including testing it and having a small overhaul. All of this for the, I think, ok-price of 571,14 euro. B)

571.00 EUR = 380.187 GBP

Greetz,

A friend and myself did changed the clutch on my lexus. took about 3 hours including tea breakes( and there was a lot of those). No special tools required really. just used standard tools in my garage.

time to get it changed yemgi, when mine started slipping at high revs, it soon started slipping lower and lower down the revs. only just managed to get it to lexus dealer in the end. this was in the space of about a couple of weeks

I tend to have this love and hate relationship with the clutch. Now I'm gentle with it, then I kick her. ;)

Since I got the car the clutch would judder on moist, cold days. The dealer always reassured me that that was perfectly normal though never seemed acceptable to me, anyway.

I sure like to take-off fast but having high revs and releasing the clutch either gently or brisk doesn't seem to do the disc any good. Decelerating by gearing down seems to be putting a big strain on the clutch also. Maybe I should start using only fith and sixth gear just to minimize changing gears. :winky:

I came to the point where I could smell the disc inside the car when accelerating on a hot day in 3th or 4th from +/-4000rpm, where it would slip and rev-up the engine without actually deliver the power to the rear.

When I saw the clutch disc on replacement, the black stuff was all worn out and very hardened (not to say caramelised) and the screws were almost near the discs' surface.

I guess that the IS clutch is a weak point and that I must slightly alter my driving habit of playing alot with the clutch and having it work for me. And that's a drag. :crying:

Does this mean I can no longer have my wheels spinning coming off the line then? :driving:

My W plated 200SE suffers from intermittent judder when pulling away at around 1500-2000 rpm.

The car was purchased via local BMW dealer who are advising both clutch and flywheel are to be replaced and not under warranty. The car has 65K on clock. The cost quoted for work is £1300!!!

Lexus have also said if it judders replace the flywheel. Has anyone else had this problem of flywheel replacement?

My W plated 200SE suffers from intermittent judder when pulling away at around 1500-2000 rpm.

The car was purchased via local BMW dealer who are advising both clutch and flywheel are to be replaced and not under warranty. The car has 65K on clock. The cost quoted for work is £1300!!!

Lexus have also said if it judders replace the flywheel. Has anyone else had this problem of flywheel replacement?

quite a few people have had the flywheel relaced i think one memebr had the clutch/flywheel replaced 3 times before it was sorted out.

i think 1300 is far too much to say the least!

Having seen what makes up a IS200 flywheel I'm not surprised they cuase problems. They cost over £500 as well :sick:

Can do you a deal on a lightened flywheel & clutch :whistling: and the fitting as well if you are interested :winky:

I've had 3 clutches and one flywheel - fortunately all under warranty.

When this wears out I'll go the Pro-Lex route cos I still get a little judder even now unless I am carefull in traffic ...

Thanks to all, l have been reading some of last years thoughts on clutch & flywheel issues.

The more l read, the more this seems to be a common problem.

I don't really want to go down the route of lightened parts unless they are going to last better and give a better drive (ie less judder).

The one common thought seems to be with regard to the torque ratio. This would seem to ring true as l can let the clutch out at idle and move forward on tickover in traffic then increase revs smoothly, or increase the revs and slip the clutch like mad, both without problems. Yet at mid range it is a problem.

As some other members seem to be thinking, is this down to driver style and clutch control.

In anycase l have two options, suck it and see, or spend loads of cash and possibly still suffer the problem.

KH

Having seen what makes up a IS200 flywheel I'm not surprised they cuase problems. They cost over £500 as well :sick:

Can do you a deal on a lightened flywheel & clutch :whistling: and the fitting as well if you are interested :winky:

Are you saying the clutch facing surface is the problem? The lightened wheel still uses that doesn't it?

Having seen what makes up a IS200 flywheel I'm not surprised they cuase problems. They cost over £500 as well  :sick:

Can do you a deal on a lightened flywheel & clutch  :whistling:  and the fitting as well if you are interested  :winky:

Are you saying the clutch facing surface is the problem? The lightened wheel still uses that doesn't it?

Not that ....its the the 3 million springs and things it uses to give a more cushioned initial pull away............if one of those goes then its bound to have an effect :whistling:

Maybe you should also offer a normal weight flywheel for people that don't want the drawbacks of a lightened one but want something different to stock?

They cost over £500 :sick:

Hoping that SteveAudioX will be able to post a review which will give people an idea of what exactly a car with a lighten flywheel is like to drive

the judder is caused by the fact that the std flywheel is a dual mass flywheel, as a result of the juddery Dual mass flywheel juddering, it glazes the clutch rendering it useless...........

as soon as Toyota realise that its the flywheel at fault and NOT the clutches, the sooner everyone concerned will be happy

They cost over £500 :sick:

Hoping that SteveAudioX will be able to post a review which will give people an idea of what exactly a car with a lighten flywheel is like to drive

I didn't mean offer a standard one, your source could make ones that are closer to the OEM mass and therefore keep the smoothness at idle and the ability to pull away with no revs and not stall.

They cost over £500  :sick:

I didn't mean offer a standard one, your source could make ones that are closer to the OEM mass and therefore keep the smoothness at idle and the ability to pull away with no revs and not stall.

From what I saw I'm not sure that would be possible as its massively over engineered...the cush plate is almost a work of art :whistling: