Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pre-cat's

marcus

don't you need to take the manifold out? and doesn't this require taking the steering rack out? quite a big job me thinks

lol speaking from experiance about removing the manifiold,,it can be done in less that an hour. i got it down to 45 mins.

basically remove the intake (is300) the manifold bolts, remove the bottom engine covers, remove the o2 sensors (3off) remove the Y pipe bolts. and finally remove the 2 bolts that hold the steering column pivoting thing that connects to the rack. and hey presto done..

i found that its the precats that are the reason you need to attack the steering bit so you could put the steering thing back on with out the hinderence of the manifold getting in the way....

depends, you could go to Tdi and have it done.. appro 450 quid, or you can find a local zuast place and have em chop em out and weld a straight piece in..

:o £450 i think i will be doing this job then :lol: as i do have the use of a ramp :)

Thanks guys,

ah yes,, that bit aswell rob.. mind you, if your car is not ramp then the wheels aint gona move, and then you just gota keep the steering wheel straight when putting the universal joint back on..

• 3 months later...

I looking into doing this shortly, would it be possible to bash the pre-cats out with a long screwdriver or rod of sorts? or are there two many bends in the manifold to where the precats are?

One of them you may be able to gut like that ...

For the other though, your screwdriver would need to be seriously deformed :duh:

Im gonna have some pieces made so I can still keep my pre-cats. Im staying on the safe side just in case of MOT problems - and dont forget the emission laws change next year (so Ive been told), so it may be prudent to keep them for MOT time, and then whip the buggers off again straight after :lol:

cough cough, i did offer to put people in the direction of some replacement de-cat only pipes- but will get him to look at his costs as they seemed to be the only stumbling point

Im gonna have some pieces made so I can still keep my pre-cats.  Im staying on the safe side just in case of MOT problems - and dont forget the emission laws change next year (so Ive been told), so it may be prudent to keep them for MOT time, and then whip the buggers off again straight after  :lol:

Would have thought that a change in the emission laws will only come into effect for cars manufactured after the date the new law comes into effect ?

As a rule of thumb legislation/regulation is not retrospective.

I believe you are correct Dave, otherwise we would see a lot of older cars that are not capable of meeting new emission regs being removed from the road.

Removal of cats does not automatically mean MOT failure.. thats a myth. If you get car warm enough, it will more than likely go through, especially if you have only removed either pre-cats or the main cat.

My Impreza was completely decatted, and passed the emissions tests :)