Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've always stuck with the Dunlop SP Sport D8Z tyres which were specifically designed for the LS400 - no problems with them and car is as quiet as only an LS can be but of late they have got harder to get hold of (getting close to impossible though Dunlop do say they are still making them) and recommend the New SP Sport 01. Having just changed to these they are much noisier and do tramline a bit more (they've got an assymetric tread as opposed to the linear tread). What other tyres have people tried and in particular what have they found re noise. With the old D8Z's you didn't get tyre noise at all now with the 01's always a bit of a rumble and a real roar on some surfaces (well by LS standards).

Dude,

I agree with you. I used to buy Dunlop D8Zs and they were always so quiet. I switched over to Dunlop SP Sport 01s on the front and Michelin Primacys on the rear.

What a difference, the tyre noise is SO pronounced with the new Dunlops, but the Michelins are similar to the D8Zs. They have a normal tread pattern, and have been reviewed well for rolling resistance.

From what I read on this site, owners who put tyres on which have new/weird/modern tread patterns have issues with excessive noise, and those that stick to more traditional treads don't necessarily have the issue.

I have driven a car with Bridgestone Turanzas (very wide low profile) and the tyre noise was minimal. However, they don't offer the size for my Mk1 wheels... :angry:

You could try compounds that are softer, that should help with the tyre noise (I think!). Perhaps Pirelli P6000 or Yokohamas?

I didn't realise staying within the same manufacturer but changing type of tyre can make such a big difference. It even claims on the Dunlop website that the SP Sport 01s are quiet tyres!!!!

I will probably try and source the D8Zs next time I need tyres, since they were designed for the LS400 - right?

:D I seem to recall not TOO long ago on here that someone said that the specific tyre for the LS400 was actually the Dunlop as mentioned, but one actually made in Japan, NOT the (german?) one. There was a small difference. But generally, yes, agree with what's said here! We buy the car for comfort and silence. How can I listen to Bossa Nova with tyre noise!

I'd be interested in anyones other experiences with alternate tyres. Michelins always used to be good, so it's good to hear about them.

LOW profile, Mr Man-e? Where's the comfort in that? Nice big FAT tyres needed!:whistling:

On my previous Lexus (a 95 LS 400 ) I ended up with Goodyear Eagle Tourings fitted to 17" Oz Operas. Not only looked very good but where also very quiet. I was concerned that when I fitted the oversize wheels with lower profile tyres the noise would increase, but that was not the case. I would advise talking to a good tyre fitting company such Micheldever whom I used.

I now have a 2 year old LS430 with Dunlops and it is not as quiet as the old car. Will be paying a visit to Micheldever soon to see what they recommend.

Yep! My D8zs are completely silent. I think it's more a case of the tread pattern rather than the compound. If you think about it, a slick tyre as they used to have on F1 cars should be silent as it's completely round.

Toyota/Lexus Bracknell quoted me £80 for D8zs.

For some strange reason Dunlop seem to think 1998/99 LS400s had P225/60R1697V SP Sport 4000 A/S tyres as OEM fits.

LS430 uses SP Sport 270 on 16 or 17" rims.

Folks

I drive long distances so tyre noise is something i really do notice. My own experience with LS400 MkIV, 225/60 R16W

Dunlop D8Z's are made in Japan, can be found for around £90 each. These were OE on the car. Reasonably quiet (not so when tread depth down to 3mm), good grip wet & dry but floaty handling.

Pirelli P7 - after my D8Zs needed changing (after 45,000 miles) i bought a set of new p7s. Wet and dry grip and handling were really good. But it made the car unbearably noisy - so much so that after 2,000 miles use I sent the tyres back to Pirelli, convinced there was a fault.

Then changed to Continental Premier contact, mercifully quieter than Pirellis, and long tread life. Good wet grip but dry grip is below par, especially when cornering hard

From previous experience with a Honda Accord, P6000s have fantastic grip but are noisy and wear out quickly. Then changed to Yokohama AVS TW1 - very quiet, good grip wet & dry, defintely the best tyres i have used.

The new LS430 has Bridgestone ER33 or Dunlop sp270 as OE fitment, having test driven cars with both brands of tyre, I was a little disappointed that the road noise was more than i expected. The Bridgestone was slightly the quieter of the two.

When I change tyres next I will defintely buy Yokohama. They have a new AVS dB 550, which comes in a good range of sizes. see www.yokohama.co.uk

• 1 year later...
Thanks for all the feed back - I'll be back on the D8Z's if i can track them down again but the michelins and yokoholmas sound good alternatives.

Just been in touch with Pompey Tires in Portsmouth, they can get and fit the Dunlop DBz's for £110 each.

I noticed that I have Pirelli on the front, they have worn really badly in the space of a year and well under 10k miles.

The back tyres on my mk4 are dunlop dbz's and are still looking good.

As a related point. With cars getting ever quieter, you'll notice that the main noise from busy roads is TYRE noise! Britain deliberately uses rough surfaces to create noise, so people can tell they're going fast! (I kid you not!)

My guess is that logically, a rough road surface will wear a tyre faster too; makes sense!

In Germany they have quiet/smooth surfaces.

There are some silent surfaces here. In Bristol about 5/6 years ago some were laid, advertised (!! on signs besides the work!) as no more pricy, just as hard wearing, but quiet. And they ARE!

There're also a couple of stretches near Cheltenham/Gloucester on the M5. Distinctly noticeable silence, especially in a LS 400!

Why can't ALL surfaces be like this? It's a cramped little place, with residential areas adjacent to m-ways often. My daily walk takes in a view of M5/ Avonmouth and the noise is constant, 1/2 a mile away! :angry:

Oh, and yes. The correct Dunlops can be imported from Nippon easily. I had this done last year through ATS.

You just have to be VERY precise in asking for them, or you'll get the German ones.

My two 'pennorth on tyre noise..............99% CR*P road surfaces everywhere.

Like most things UK now, cheap and nasty comes before quality.

Tyre noise drops to virtually zero if you can find a bit of decent road........... :tomato:

www.blackcircles.co.uk has Dunlop DZ8s 225/60/16 at £100.78 fitted.

Oh bugger.. typical... never mind... I had to change them on the day for an MOT.. thankfully she passed with flying colours

BTW, on the subject of tyre noise, after having the front Pirelli's changed and D8z's fitted.. there is no noticeable difference from the cabin..

As the chap above said, most of the noise is from crap roads.

Another point worth noting is that the Dunlops D8z's have a higher speed rating and will supposedly last up to 35k miles.

If you are down in Hampshire / West Sussex, take a run along the resurfaced A27, next to no noise at all!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links