Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driving From The Continent To Schotland

For some reason I double posted this and the original was taken out. Anyway, for those who didn't read the original message and who may want to add some usefull tips like the ones below.

I'm driving up to Schotland from Italy this August. Taking the Ferry from Amsterdam to Newcastle.

Although it's not the first time I drive on the wrong, eeh left, side of the road, It is the first time I do so in a left hand driven car.

Anything I should be aware of? Speedlimits?

Have all the speed cameras these white stripes on the road? :shifty: Do I have to take care on smaller roads too? (I don't think I will drive on motorways that much)

Yes - most defiantly! Bloody speed cameras. The A1 from Newcastle to Edinburgh is littered with the things! They are all programmed in to my Sat Nav and 'chime' as I get close to them to 'ahem' warn me of an accident black spot 'ahem'. So take it easy if you don't know the road. 60 mph = 100 kph (approx)

If you are in no hurry then take the much more scenic rout through the Scottish Borders - Out of Newcastle on A1 till A698 then A68 up over the border and into ***'s country. Enjoy your trip and let us know when you are coming and we can have a mini meet!

John

Hello sos10,

Having driven both left hand drive and right hand drive (rental) cars in the UK, my experience is that you'll be okay for the first two days, because the driving is involving enough to keep you alert. After that, be careful not to let you attention slip when turning onto a road with no traffic, as you may return to your old left-hand driving habits.

Have fun,

RX-Men-8

Would have thought the Zeebrugge - Rosyth ferry would have been quicker for you.

We have just returned from Italy down by Vienzia (Venice) Milano (MIlan). Stayed at a camp site near Rosalina Mare. Done 3500 miles in two weeks.

Not in a Rx but a Touareg V10.

Where are you heading to in Scotland.

Hi, We're heading for Edinburgh mainly. The Fringe festival where we have some things to do. But hopefully we'll have some time to tour la Scozia a bit.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links