Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ecu Upgrade Thingy's

SteveAudioX

Wonder if anyone can help.

I know nought about these, are they worth the money, what are the key benefits of the ones available?

what can the cheaper one not do compared to the more pricy ones on offer?

Has anyone had one fitted and noticed any difference apart from the big hole in their wallet?

Does it increase top speed, fuel economy etc...

I am refering this to a IS200 Supercharged...

Any help and answers appreciated....

Wonder if anyone can help.

I know nought about these, are they worth the money, what are the key benefits of the ones available?

what can the cheaper one not do compared to the more pricy ones on offer?

Has anyone had one fitted and noticed any difference apart from the big hole in their wallet?

Does it increase top speed, fuel economy etc...

I am refering this to a IS200 Supercharged...

Any help and answers appreciated....

We are not the only people in the Uk that can do ecu upgrades, but we do have some experience with Lexus cars so I can tell you what we know.

The cheaper systems such as Dastec, Emanage etc offer basic facilities for mapping the fuel and ignition parameters within the standard signal values, and have a relatively small amount of load maps which means that they cannot be as accurately mapped as better systems. The Dastec ecu can be specified with a 3D module so that it can also be mapped for boost values.

Better systems such as Motec, Gems, HKS et al can be used in piggy back or stand alone form. They have many more load sites for more accuracte mapping, and can manipulate the RPM limiter (Not FCON S), and many other facilities that you may or may not choose to use.

The problem with the s/c is200 is that it runs lean when almost any other mod is done to it so a fuelling upgrade is essential. The way we have approached this in the past is to run an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a fuel return line back to the tank (with uprated pump etc). Now that we have sourced some larger injectors it may not be necessary to do all of this.

Unless anyone wants to try it before, Dave Ellen will be the 1st to try it this way on his new engine, which we hope will work and save some money on the conversion.

If I were you I would decide where I want to be with respect to the final specification of the car, because that will tell me what ecu I need.

For example if I wanted steel internals and/or a boost upgrade at some time in the future, I would buy an ecu that allows me to raise the rev limiter and use larger injectors now so that I don't have to change the ecu again at a later date. If were not considering going much further along the tuning route I would go for a basic ecu with the 3D.

Your top speed isn't going to increase until you raise the rev limiter/change the gearing. Your economy won't be improved as we need to increase the fuelling. Your performance and reliability will be improved.

Hope I explained myself OK. Please let me know if there are any q's

Mark

Mark,

How much is the HKS ECU that allows you to change the rev limit - I can remember you mentioning this once, how much extra speed do you guess we'd see if the rev limiter was upped to 7.2k? I'm guessing it would help the 0-60 if you could hit 60 before the third gear change and also the top speed would increase from 137, but how much would the extra 1k rpm increase the top speed? Do you think we could hit 155 or above?

Guessing other engine upgrades would be essential for this as well?

Just wondering whether long term it's worth paying a fortune for relatively little gains out of the 1G-FE or whether to look at maybe swapping like Fargo did where bigger gains are easier (and cheaper) to obtain?!

i looked into gearing.............

ive spoken to Quaife regarding it,

you can get a lower geared final drive for the differential which helps wioth acceleration from TRD.

personally i am looking at a gear set for just that(acceleration) , and straight cut for the race car

Mark,

How much is the HKS ECU that allows you to change the rev limit - I can remember you mentioning this once, how much extra speed do you guess we'd see if the rev limiter was upped to 7.2k? I'm guessing it would help the 0-60 if you could hit 60 before the third gear change and also the top speed would increase from 137, but how much would the extra 1k rpm increase the top speed? Do you think we could hit 155 or above?

Guessing other engine upgrades would be essential for this as well?

Just wondering whether long term it's worth paying a fortune for relatively little gains out of the 1G-FE or whether to look at maybe swapping like Fargo did where bigger gains are easier (and cheaper) to obtain?!

The HKS FCON V Pro is £950 plus vat, fitting and tuning etc.

Raising the rev limit with standard rods and pistons could be like dancing with the D.evil though. I haven't done any calculations on theoretical top speeds yet but I'll get my abacus out next week if I remember. You can get an idea yourself checking the increase in road speed between 3000 and 4000rpm in 6th gear, then add that to 137mph

I reckon most of the serious guys will be at the stage where they will be looking for rods and pistons by next year so I am working on a bulk purchase of said items to bring the cost down.

The problem with the s/c is200 is that it runs lean when almost any other mod is done to it so a fuelling upgrade is essential. The way we have approached this in the past is to run an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a fuel return line back to the tank (with uprated pump etc). Now that we have sourced some larger injectors it may not be necessary to do all of this. E]

Mark,

Are you saying just by changing the injectors, we can get more power, or is the pump and regulator still required ?

Also, could this be done as a DIY package ? :)

Thanks for the detialed reply Mark.

Which would you recommend for my needs...

You know my mods so far.

SC

NOS

Performance Exhaust

Coming

Prolex Manifold

Decat

Lightweight fly and Helix clutch

Wonder if you can answer whether the Decat offered at TDi includes weilding and supplying new section?

Steve, if you're having the Prolex manifold then this already has the precats removed, unless you're talking about having the main cat removed?

I'm tempted by the NOS next but a bit worried the engine might not be 100% reliable?!

Mark, you say that TDI North will be cheaper - will they be offering the same sort of work?

Very tempted by the HKS ECU, would TDI North be offering that sort of thing or is it more basic while they get up to speed? TIA

Mark,

Are you saying just by changing the injectors, we can get more power, or is the pump and regulator still required ?

Also, could this be done as a DIY package ? :)

I doub't you'll see much more power just by changing the injectors. The next car we do we are going to try the ecu and injector upgrade before the fuel line/pump reg upgrade as this will be better and may negate the need for said items. At the mo we don't know the answer.

The more modifications you do the more you will need some form uprated fuel system/engine management.

Thanks for the detialed reply Mark.

Which would you recommend for my needs...

You know my mods so far.

SC

NOS

Performance Exhaust

Coming

Prolex Manifold

Decat

Lightweight fly and Helix clutch

Wonder if you can answer whether the Decat offered at TDi includes weilding and supplying new section?

The answer lies within yourself Steve.

You need to decide where you intend to be in the future regarding your modifications.

If you think that you will be having the uprated engine internals and raising the rev limit, you will need the FCON Pro or similar.

If you do not intend going that far you can use the FCON S, Dastec or similar.

Hope this helps :)

I'm tempted by the NOS next but a bit worried the engine might not be 100% reliable?!

Mark, you say that TDI North will be cheaper - will they be offering the same sort of work?

Very tempted by the HKS ECU, would TDI North be offering that sort of thing or is it more basic while they get up to speed? TIA

Fitting nitrous is safe if it is done and calibrated properly. We normally find that the recommended calibration settings are miles out so do not rely on them - have it professionally checked!!

TDi North is likely to be around half our labour rate and will be offering dyno and mapping facilities. HKS have not granted a software licence yet but I imagine this will happen because at the moment there is nowhere north of Barking that can map HKS ecu's