Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying A Laptop

Colin P

My brother is going to buy a laptop.

His budget is no more than £1000 so after looking around on the internet I thought this seemed like a good price Toshiba... but was wondering if any of you guys out there could reccomend any or say what to avoid? I've been looking around on kelkoo btw.

The laptop is only going to be used for basic work stuff (Excel, Access) browsing the internet and playing Championship Manager!

Thanks in advance.

Colin

I am looking for one as well. Done some research and narrowed it down to a DellInspiron 8600 or 510m.

Basically, if you are after mobility, you want max Battery power and low weight and thats where the 2 models above come in. A Centrino processor will be useful If you are after a desktop replacement and the laptop isnt going to be moved around much, you could get one of the other dells offered with larger chassis' and Intel Pentium M processors. Battery life will be limited though.

You need to determine what your real needs are ... do you want a light one, or a fullyloaded notebook?

Some keypoints:

- Get at least 256M or better 512M and get at least 30Gb

- Be careful what Battery you get with the notebook. Some of the vendors only enclose a low-capacity Battery, and you need to pay additional for a high-cap Battery.

- Try to buy a notebook that has 3 years warranty.

In terms of brands, any of the IBM, Toshiba, Dell notebooks are very reliable.

I used to have a HP/Compaq notebook, but was disappointed with its reliability and its design was not userfriendly enough.

he says its not really going to be moved about that much so Battery life and weight are not so much of an issue. (although I suppose it depends how much the difference is)

From what I can see Toshiba and Dell seem to be the best priced. Sony seems to be very expensive!

Sony, like all their other products, are expensive. They used to be very cheap and nasty as well but seem to be better these days.

Personally I would go with a Toshiba or HP. Don't like Dell notebooks, just not that well made.

Just got a PC for a friend to type up A level essays on. Base unit thrown out at work (166MHz 128Mb). Spare keyboard, mouse and power leads from an old PC at home. Old Monitor from a mate for a fiver. Pack of jumpers so I could swap the master and slave hard disks around. Total price £6. B)

Sorry :offtopic:

I've had nightmares with Sony laptops in the past. Customer service sucks. Best place to buy Sony laptops happens to be eBay. Sony has an online store selling refurbs. Sell quite cheap, but always makes me wonder how they happen to have hundreds in stock.

Whats a good place to look for Toshiba laptops?

www.apple.com/powerbook :)

And before you all come round and lynch me, it does word, excel, web-browsing and Champ Manager, with the added bonus of no viruses

:huh:

:lol::lol::lol: That made me smile Tom... :D

Would we really lynch you.....? :shutit: :tomato:

he says its not really going to be moved about that much so battery life and weight are not so much of an issue. (although I suppose it depends how much the difference is)

From what I can see Toshiba and Dell seem to be the best priced. Sony seems to be very expensive!

I have a Acer 1700 ,heavy but 17" screen is top. thumbup.gif