Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Satnav And Insurance

dipstick

If you don't have standard Lexus satnav, forget this post.

My insurance is due. They want £615 this time. I shopped about and Esure came up with £420.

However, I then asked about the satnav - it's standard factory fit, so I assumed if something horrible happened it would be fully covered. Not always so.

Turns out that for my existing insurer (Frizzell) they view factory fit satnav as standard equipment, and so cover the full replacement if someone renders it inoperable by smashing the screen, nicking the head unit or CD/DVD drive from the boot, whatever. Obviously you pay your (in my case) £100 excess.

But for esure, they had to check very hard, and then decided that it would be viewed as car audio, and they would cover only £250 worth of it. Clearly it wasn't a standard question, and they had to ask the claims department for clarification.

They were then prepared to extend the cover to a full repair/replacement costs(dread to think how much, but I bet it's nearer £2500 at a Lexus dealer) for an extra premium. In fact, that extra closed the gap so much that I've stuck with Frizzell now, as they've always been very good.

If I hadn't specifically asked I wouldn't have known, and might have been caught out.

Point of this long winded post is to flag that your insurer may NOT as standard cover the full cost of standard Lexus satnav repair/replacement if in their opinion it's actually audio kit, so check that small print now before it's too late!

I think most policies don't insure the standard sat nav and when it's an option (IS, GS, some RX) it may need to be listed as a mod.

Some of the newer models seem to be listed with and without navigator with insurance companies (I think because Lexus now list them as different models in their price lists) so if you pick the correct one it should be insured.

I had same problem with esure with my styling kit. I faxed them a copy of the details in the brochure and off the website to prove it was factory fit. They agreed after about 10 days to cover it no charge. I then got them to send a letter to confirm.

sorry... Must say e-sure are pants.

It took me 8 months to tell them thick idiots that I have a

Lexus is200 sport navigator with Lexus sport styling kit when I first got the car..

If I can remember rightly, the stereo at the time was insured for a maximum of £1000.

No wonder why they only insure people with 4+years no claims and no mods... as adding an Air freshener to the car will confuse the hell out of their sales team.

Shop around is my advice, there are better companies out there, i'd rather go with better for a tad more on the premium.