Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Es300

i notice that the ES300 isnt sold in europe, anyone know why?i seen few in uk as imports & seen lots in china few yrs ago. but i think they look very nice, i wouldnt mind one myself.

i was told the toyota camry(same chassis as ES300) are not sold in UK now as it was not selling well, due to wrong image & wrong badge?? i.e.should have a lexus badge on it?? sometime wonder if they should bring the ES300 to europe/uk to replace the camry, what do you think.. someone was saying the IS200 or should i say lexus wont be where they are today if it had a toyota badge.personally i not bothered if is toyota/lexus badge is all same.....

I don't think the ES300 fits the Lexus image in this country. Previous models haven't been good enough to drive and it's not rear wheel drive.

I believe that if the IS200 was badged as a Toyota, maybe with the 4 cylinder engine and a choice of cloth or leather interior, it would sell 10x the amount the Lexus does but they would have needed a hatchback version. Look at the new Avensis, I see so many more of those on the road than IS200s and it's only been out about a year.

I will go against what you said their colin

Yes its a FWD but the drive was smoother than my GS.. had more goodies than my GS too.. Just the style was not as good.. but it had the same styling as a baby LS400.

It certainly more comfortable than an IS200 as I was driving a IS200 for a while owning my ES300/Windom.

So it does have the class. Not sure what the latest model is like

I believe that if the IS200 was badged as a Toyota, maybe with the 4 cylinder engine and a choice of cloth or leather interior, it would sell 10x the amount the Lexus does but they would have needed a hatchback version. Look at the new Avensis, I see so many more of those on the road than IS200s and it's only been out about a year.

If that was the case, i would have got an A4 :blink:

Come on Col i know a fair few people inc myself that see the new avensis as a poor mans lex.

I agree with Raz, thats why i bought a lex (snob value really?)...........so what extras does the ES300 that the GS didnt?........just interested really

The new ES sells really well in the US...........saw loads in California this year...........new model looks good

well the jap version had Air Purifier, elec mirrors, heated mirrors, adjustable TEMS suspension, Sat Nav (newer models) etc etc...

the GS is basic compared to jap imports.

Now the US model had as many goodies as the GS

But the ride is much more superior than mine .. although mines a sport.

The IS however was so much better handling... was quite good fun.

If that was the case, i would have got an A4 :blink:

Come on Col i know a fair few people inc myself that see the new avensis as a poor mans lex.

Toyota's fit and finish is getting better each year and therefore the new Avensis is better built than the GS so I wouldn't say it's a poor mans Lexus. It has the spec of a Toyota and also the price. Add £1k or £2k to the price and it would have Lexus spec. It's not a drivers car like the IS, it's designed to be more practical.

For some reason some people seem to think a Lexus is better built than a Toyota. They are all Toyotas, built using the same parts by the same machines in the same factories. That may change as Lexus is launched in Japan but they will still be Toyotas just a different department - a bit like Audi and VW.

I don't think the ES suits the European market, it's too American in it's looks and ride. It does sell well in the US but not like the Camry, which is basically the same car. The ES is also much cheaper than the GS, basically IS money for a much bigger car and in states that get snow FWD is a bonus.

Trying to sell the ES in this country when they cannot even sell it in it's cheaper form, the Camry, wouldn't make sense. The import versions may well be better specified than the UK GSs but then the Japan spec cars always have more technology than the export models.

I don't think the ES300 fits the Lexus image in this country. Previous models haven't been good enough to drive and it's not rear wheel drive.

Trying to sell the ES in this country when they cannot even sell it in it's cheaper form, the Camry, wouldn't make sense. The import versions may well be better specified than the UK GSs but then the Japan spec cars always have more technology than the export models.

i know where your coming from. yes is FWD so is Audi A4(dunno about A6)but A4 is up against likes of BMW 3Series & C-class......

as for avenisis being 'toyota' badge is selling very well, this car is more of family/ day to day car than executive/luxury of the likes of lexus. & the avensis is quite cheap to buy & well specified plus is locally built meaning cheaper insurance & parts i would if thought?? when i say would it be better if the ES300 was sold in europe than camry is due to name like people see lexus & think BMW/Mercedes rival but dont think that if they see toyota badge on it. like honda legend, is been on sale for long time but you see more GS300 than a honda legend & what happened to the nissan maxima?stopped selling now.

For some reason some people seem to think a Lexus is better built than a Toyota.

Its called Branding :whistling:

Colin, does the better build over the years also apply to the yaris?

Isnt the ES supposed to be below the IS, EntrySaloon opposed to IntermediateSaloon?

wills  Posted on Aug 15 2004, 03:31 PM

offtopic.gif I know, the Nissan Maxima now sells in the US and is badged under the Infinity range

Believe it or not, Infiniti have been around a lot longer then Lexus!!! Wonder they arent as sucessfull?

I saw an S plate maxima at work on friday, very nice.

Reminds me of the tune 'Material Girl' by Super Cat and Burro Banton

'Maxima and jewellery, that di gyal dem now a days fancy,

Di Lexus and 300E, and sum a dem want Toyota Camry etc etc'

:shifty:

I think the Yaris is an excellent supermini, been out for a long time now and still one of the best in its class. It doesn't have the quality materials used for the interior but that's because it is built to its price range. Rather have a Yaris than a Clio or some Fiat rubbish.

Isnt the ES supposed to be below the IS, EntrySaloon opposed to IntermediateSaloon?

The ES and the LS were the first Lexus models to go on sale and it's name has stuck. The names don't really mean that much anymore. How do you define which model is above another? Price, size of vehicle? The ES is above the IS on both of those.

I think the Yaris is an excellent supermini, been out for a long time now and still one of the best in its class. It doesn't have the quality materials used for the interior but that's because it is built to its price range. Rather have a Yaris than a Clio or some Fiat rubbish.

But the Avensis is no way near the same leauge as the GS... :yawn:

The ES and the LS were the first Lexus models to go on sale and it's name has stuck. The names don't really mean that much anymore. How do you define which model is above another? Price, size of vehicle? The ES is above the IS on both of those

Price and spec....

I was refering to

ES Entry Saloon

IS Intermediate Saloon

GS General Saloon

LS Luxury Saloon

I think this may apply to american market?

Price and spec....

I was refering to

ES Entry Saloon

IS Intermediate Saloon

GS General Saloon

LS Luxury Saloon

I think this may apply to american market?

As I said the ES came out when it was the entry level model (of the two that existed) but the names don't really apply. When the IS came out what do you call it? The RES, the really entry level - doesn't sound too good.

The ES is the Luxury Sedan and the IS is the Sports Luxury Sedan. Two different types of vehicle. The ES is the more expensive model at both base price and fully loaded.

But the Avensis is no way near the same leauge as the GS

No, but its interior doesn't rattle and creak like the GS does :o

The ES and the LS were the first Lexus models to go on sale and it's name has stuck. The names don't really mean that much anymore. How do you define which model is above another? Price, size of vehicle? The ES is above the IS on both of those

Did you know that the ES was the first Lexus to be released in the US? Know as the ES250

It was realeased in the late 80's and I spotted the first series here in Bournemouth too.. nice!

My motor doesnt rattle or creak (leather, dash) :P , 'cept for the 1 caliper, if and when i trade up, it'll be the LS 430.......always wanted a soarer but heard bad things ' bout the handling?? am i wrong??....................(i'm a secret Supra TT JZGTE lover really but the GF doesnt like them :crybaby:).......what really interests me at the mo is the early soarers/griffins with TT 1989.....heads up display etc. box stylin' electric everything......one 4 sale on eBay 2mths ago and i missed it :crybaby::crybaby:............. :driving:

the only handing probs were the TT's with no TC.. too much power on the small wheels

I used to go out in the country about 1 am and have some fun... really good fun too. But its very easy to snake up the road and lose the car.. so alot of respect (especially in the rain) needs to be given or you lose your car or your life.

My motor doesnt rattle or creak (leather, dash)

You have a real rare car there then. All the brand new ones in the showrooms, demostrators, my two and other peoples all do. I guess some people notice things more than others. It doesn't help that the car is quite so you can pick up on the little things, go over a pothole and you get clicks and creaks. Press the wood trim around the gear selector or the ashtray or the air vents and it will make a noise as the trim pieces rub together. There are lots of post on US forums about this. It also doesn't help that there is a lot of flex in the GS chassis.

Did you know that the ES was the first Lexus to be released in the US? Know as the ES250

It was realeased in the late 80's and I spotted the first series here in Bournemouth too.. nice!

good old ES250, i seen one on holiday in Beijing, China back in 1992 when i was a kid. i thought wow! is basically same car as the camry 2.5 GXi, my dad use to own one very smooth & quiet.

GS General Saloon

Always thought it was Grand Sedan/Saloon

ES ~ EXECUTIVE SEDAN/WINDOM

IS ~ INTERMEDIATE SEDAN/ALTEZZA

GS ~ GRAND SEDAN/ARISTO

LS ~ LUXURY SEDAN/CELSIOR

SC ~ SPORTS COUPE/SOARER

RX ~ RECREATIONAL 4X4/HARRIER

LX ~ LUXURY 4X4/LAND CRUISER

:D

Very interesting............didnt know the LS400 arived in 1989.....15years old!..........was this also the time Toyota badged the Celsior as new?

Still leaves me confused about the griffin/soarer.......did the first lexus soarer enter the market in 1990? :geek:

Colin, yes when you press the fittings they do have some movement, creaking and squeeks start........must have the radio too loud :lol:

Very interesting............didnt know the LS400 arived in 1989.....15years old!..........was this also the time Toyota badged the Celsior as new?

Still leaves me confused about the griffin/soarer.......did the first lexus soarer enter the market in 1990? :geek:

thought is 1988 of the launch or is it japan. at the time the Celsior was also new model, mk1 like ls400.

whats a griffin?? apart from saab 9000. the first soarer was in 1990ish, there been few previous soarers in japan before 1989 but back then it was'nt badge as lexus or even sold outside japan as the lexus name wasn't out yet.