Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Not Happy

Ally

Just had a letter through his morning from the DVLA telling me to paya £40 penalty and £27.50 in arrears of duty, for my old car which i traded in to get my Lexus. When i picked the Lexus up, i had all the paperwork for my old car, and i asked the salesman what i needed to do with the blue bit of the V5. He thanked me for remembering to bring all the paperwork and told me not to worry as he would send everything away to the DVLA. Potentially he didn't, but where do i stand now. Will i just pay the fines and keep my mouth shut, or do i get in touch with the dealers and try and get them to pay it (even though it will probably be my word against theirs).

Any comments would be appreciated.

thanks

Ally :angry:

As you say, try and get the the dealer to take resposnsibility pointing out that you handed all the paper work and v5 to them on ****** date....................otherwise sadly you will have to pay, as this is the DVLA new policy :tsktsk: ....unfair i think

Sorry to say its the owners responsability ,as seen on recent TV ads, if selling a car to the motor trade ,you must fill out the Red part of the log book and sent it off to DVLA, then give the Green and Blueparts to the trader, could be better just to pay the fine :angry: .

I got one as well this am, sold the vehicle over 3 years ago, telephoned the dvla a few months ago when the reminder can through they said put it in writing which I did, not got the same letter as you!

Guess I will be calling them in Monday to see what they are playing at, wish me luck

do you have a sales invoice showing your p/x and it's vrm offset against the balance to pay for your new vehicle?

And if so this will have the date the dealer took control of the part exchange from you.

It is not your fault by the looks of it from what you say. Inform the dealer of their fault as being in charge of the vehicle at the times stated.

Likewise, if they sold the car on after you through an auction, there will be ANOTHER owner NOW. And obvoisly they must have not registered the car in their name after taking it on too!! So the dealer can chase them.

A novel idea. Put the question to DVLA staff at Swansea over the phone and make them TELL you what to do, and get a NAME from the person.

I like david blunkett's idea to force people to register cars in their name, otherwise issuing a fixed penalty ticket to them.

Thanks folks, i'll get in touch with the DVLA first and then try the dealers. I've got proof that i wasn't the registered keeper on 1/6/04, as i got my Lex on 27/5/04 and i have kept all the paperwork. Hopefully a couple of photcopies will sort things out. I'll keep you posted on how i get on. :unsure: