Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

V8 Vs Tt

Paul26

Hi guys, Im new to the forum just thought I'd say hello. Im considering getting a Soarer Generation 3. Wondering if you guys could answer some of questions for me.

i. Whats the overall performance differences between the two types, I've heard some ppl say that the V8 is faster off the start compared to the TT but then the

TT will dominate till 80mph. Also do you have any figures on 0-60 figures for the two models.

ii. MPG what kind of figures would I be looking at for each model.

iii. Servicing costs and intervals

iv. I know most models are auto's. though I read somewhere that you can buy an auto then have a manual installed. I was just wondering if anyone has had this done and what kind of price are you looking at for such a procedure.

Cheers

Paul

TT is faster. The 1st turbo spools quite quickly so it gets away from the lights fine. You can also increase the power of the TT quite cheaply to make it much faster.

TT is better on fuel if you are not at full throttle all the time and the TT is also available with a manual gearbox (although quite rare). V8s are all autos

Servicing should be every 6,000 miles.

My TT was about 20-22 mpg around town or fast motorway driving with the turbos spooling.

TT is quicker from standing than the V8 but the v8 catches up

I was lucky to have a TT manual geabox which was very quick.. lots of fun.. but expensive.

insurance for 32 year old with full no claims was £750 fully comp.

The car was pretty juicy.. more than my GS. The V8 is even more juicy. But these cars are alot of fun.. handle really well... worth spending the extra bucks if you like the power.

Its the sound of the V8 thats tempting me that way. If I went for the V8 it would be straight through with induction kit, it would sound amazing. I have an MR2 at the moment I'm just looking for something with a bit more power and space. Just cocerned about the amount of fuel they require Ive heard some ppl quoting low teens and others saying 30 mpg. Is there much difference between mpg of the V8 and that of the turbo?

Apart from servicing every 6000 miles which I presume is just for an oil change and at 60000 miles cambelt. Is there anything else that needs attention, ive seen a gearbox oil change on SSS. Is that something that is required on a regular basis I dont really know much about the workings and servicing requirements for automatic transmissions.

If you are getting the V8 then look at the LS400 service schedule that will give you an idea. Or look at the US SC400 although their schedules are more often then over here.

http://www.clublexus.com/index.php/article...iew/1995/1/115/

The V8 with the auto box will use more fuel. Maybe mid to high 20s on a run, short journeys high teens.

imported good V8'S are getting rarer , tt's are more plentiful, this may change as time goes by , but getting more modern imports registered is becoming increasingly more difficult, i run a v8gt-l and am quite happy with it ,no mods yet but some in the pipe line , the tt is more readily modified and with higher power gains , but you do'nt get the power for nothing. the v8 in my opinion is more civilised , incidently i'm a lot older than you but my insurance is £400 a year fully comp, max no claims ,

with groupama .

petrol consumption for the v8 anywhere between 18 -28 mpg depends on where you are driving and how hard

Don't buy a TT if you are concerned about fuel consumption. I get low to mid teens. I could get more if I didn’t drive it hard but why bother having a TT then?

There is a lot of misunderstanding about comparative acceleration of these cars. The TT will demolish a V8 in any full-on acceleration test. A group of us had a meeting at a drag strip and tried it. No V8 beat any TT all day. In-gear acceleration is a different matter, though. The V8 has lots of low torque which the TT can’t match. It doesn’t start flying until 3,000 rpm generally.

There is now a V8 in London with a supercharger installed. It’s sure to be quicker than a stock V8 but we won’t know how quick it is until we can get some proper timings.

Finally, the stock TT is supposed to run 280bhp. With a boost controller (£25-£250 depending on manual or electronic) you can get another 30-50bhp. You are then getting a similar power/weight ratio to an M3 Evo. That represents great bang for your buck. :D

Scorpion

Yes only 280bhp and like the supra which comes out the factory with 300bhp,but the gentelmens agreement the Jspec cars say 280/300 but not hard to get a lot more outta them,and torque is very good on the Soarer for a car that is 1600kg.

And the Soarer was never meant to be an out and out sports car thats what the Supra was made for.

Andy

Don't forget it's not all about bhp - torque/gearing comes into it to. The 150bhp version of the Golf GTi Diesel is a good case in point. Once on the move, midrange acceleration is tremendous.

Depending on your budget there's always the +Aug/96 VVTi version of the 2.5L Soarer. It's supposed* to launch from standstill quicker that the earlier TT variant, and you get better fuel economy - I average around 27/28mpg from mine.

A '97 VVTi, fully loaded, went for just under £8K a couple of months ago. One drawback of the VVTi is that it's not nearly so easy to modify if you're in search of higher bhp.

* I say 'supposed' because I've never gone head-to-head with a TT in this car. According to an OZ road test report it's quicker off the mark, mainly down to a torque figure of 378Nm @ 2400rpm (compared to the earlier car's 363Nm @ 4800rpm). However a lot depends on the state your car's in, fuel, driver technique etc. I used to own a '94 TT and the VVTi certainly feels quicker than TT did, but it's very subjective.

Still, neither version of the 2.5 sounds as good as the V8 tho ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Wahey, its the TT vs V8 debate again B) .

Its personal preference I guess.

I suspect if MPG is a concern then I dont think anyone buys a Soarer for its fuel efficiency, but having said that they are a nice practical hi performance luxury coupe. If you expect 22mpg then you'll be around the right figure overall.

If its the looks and style and reasonable performance / mpg then there are more and more 10 year old 3.0litre variants. They were made from 1994 onwards and are appearing in the car ads now.

V8's have all the luxury kit. Some versions of the TT are "relatively" basic. Not sure about the 3.0 litre. The Americans seemed to like them well enough.

Be content that whatever the model you will have something a little different from the norm with an excellent owner support network (here and TIF). Toyota / Lexus reliability and build quality too.

Neil

Good news on the car m8 :), glad you are getting some good numbers from the car now :tup:.

And the bay is looking very nice indeed m8,please keep us post on the numbers m8, ours is off to Dastek on the 23rd for a little tweaking,and see what she is doing then,we are running 22psi right now.

Andy

PS

Neil is yours a manual ?

Neil

and a chance to blow some old V8 away with some kind of blower thing stuck on top of the engine
LOL.

Well you make sure you let us know what you do at the Pod m8,i want to see your car do the -13sec, will let you know how ours gets on with th RR after the 23rd.

Oh when they are doing your dyno are they doing 2nd gear only or are they driving it through the box Neil ??.

Regards

Andy

i. Whats the overall performance differences between the two types

>> V8 will always pull of the line quicker but when the TT's turbo spool up it will tear past until around 90 when things even out. 0-60 is 6.5 for TT, 6.9 for V8. Mod wise you can get 330 bhp out of the TT for relatively little money, V8 requires a supercharger then 400 bhp should be attainable.

ii. MPG what kind of figures would I be looking at for each model.

>> For a V8, I used to get around 20-22 before I spent money improving the car, full service etc now I can hit 24, sometimes more with optimax. More for the 3 litre model.

iii. Servicing costs and intervals

>> Oil+filter every 5-6k, Cambelt every 100k, to be honest the rest you can really do yourself as and when you like, there are plenty of tutorials online even for the oil. Cambelt for V8 is around £400, which should have been done on import (check history)

iv. I know most models are auto's. though I read somewhere that you can buy an auto then have a manual installed. I was just wondering if anyone has had this done and what kind of price are you looking at for such a procedure.

>> Nearly all soarers are autos. The only manuals are the TTs as far as I know. V8 conversions have never been done in this country however in Australia quite a few have been done, the kit is available to import, then its a question of finding someone to take on the work, lets just say it won't be cheap, but it CAN be done.

You won't be dissapointed with a V8 model, if you go for a UZZ31 or UZZ32 (airsus/active) make sure the EMV is in good order, check the aircon pump works ok, those are the big ones. My advice would be don't bother with a TT, if you want something fast, buy an R34 skyline :) :zee:

Its the sound of the V8 thats tempting me that way. If I went for the V8 it would be straight through with induction kit, it would sound amazing. I have an MR2 at the moment I'm just looking for something with a bit more power and space. Just cocerned about the amount of fuel they require Ive heard some ppl quoting low teens and others saying 30 mpg. Is there much difference between mpg of the V8 and that of the turbo?

Paul, I have straight through with the modified headers (one of only 2 in the country), decatted and I can tell you it sounds INCREDIBLE!!!! Pure music. B)

o0O555O0o

>> V8 will always pull of the line quicker
emm no it wont,check the videos i have uploaded, and the v8 was never going to stand a chance beating any of the TT that where there that day,not even close.
if you want something fast, buy an R34 skyline
why ?

ours and some other TT Soarers are fast :) :)

Videos....

http://www.alexander27.plus.com/V8.V.MIKEs.TT.mpg

http://www.alexander27.plus.com/myTT.V.V8.2nd.run.mpg

http://www.alexander27.plus.com/myTT.V.V8.mpg

Andy

By 'off the line', Al means literally to about 5metres! Look at the 2nd vid...the V8 does get off quicker.

I'd guess the TT boys have honed their starts more than the V8 men :P

Before the turbos kick in, its basically a 2.5l engine against a 4l engine with (a lot) more torque!