Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sat-nav Questions

Hi all,

Am purchasing an IS200 very soon, and had a couple of quick questions over the Sat-Nav system:

1) I'd probably end up getting a car with the CD-version, which will of course only cover the UK. One seller told me its possible to hire CDs from Lexus that cover Europe - is this correct? Or do I have to buy them outright?

2) When was the CD system replaced by DVD? I'm considering a 2001 - '51 reg car - might that have the DVD system?

Many thanks,

Peter

1) I'd probably end up getting a car with the CD-version, which will of course only cover the UK. One seller told me its possible to hire CDs from Lexus that cover Europe - is this correct? Or do I have to buy them outright?

yes - you can borrow the CDs (free of charge) from Lexus UK.

The DVD covers all of Europe (I'm not sure that IS comes with the DVD version though - I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

DVD sat nav came out on the GS and LS in Oct 2000 but didn't appear on the IS until the facelift in Aug 2001 (when the IS300 also launched).

Lexus won't loan you a DVD as the disc should cover the whole of Europe. However if you have an early version of the disc there isn't much of Europe covered so take that into account. A new DVD disc is £300 from Lexus.

They will loan you a CD of the country you are going to, all you need to pay is the recorded delivery to post it back :)

Thanks for the info Colin. Could you possible elaborate on 'not much of Europe' - I'm assuming it includes at least Germany/France/Italy, etc.!?

To clarify then - if I get the '51 reg car, it'll have the DVD system then? I've played with the CD system in a W-reg car - does the DVD system offer any new functionality? Is the controller the same? (I thought the controller on the W-reg that I looked at was slightly annoying - had to really force it left and right to make it move, build quality seemed a bit cheap. I know the latest IS certainly don't use the exact same controller, but I don't know when it swapped).

Any more info is much appreciated!

The controller changed with the CD to DVD change. The CD version has a removable controller and the DVD one is fixed within the console.If you look at the interior 3D image on this page you can just about see the new style controller - you need to zoom in to see clearly.

http://www.lexus.co.uk/see_the_car.php?mod...200se&area=see#

My version of the DVD (2000 version, an IS shouldn't have that old a version as it came out a year later) only has major roads in France and Germany and some major towns. Within the DVD box there should be a map that shows the coverage.

Thats good news over the controller, but given what you've said about Lexus not hiring out DVDs, it'd be annoying if I get the newer sat-nav system but find its basically a retrogressive decision, in that I'd have been able to hire out European CDs, but have to pay £300 for the DVD equivalent...

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. If anyone has a similar-age car to that I'm considering (2001, '51-reg) and is able to clarify that the sat-nav DVD does indeed contain more than just major roads in France/Germany, it'd be much appreciated.

If not I'll just have to fork out £300 for a newer DVD... the price seems pretty extortionate however, no matter how good the sat-nav system is.

If not I'll just have to fork out £300 for a newer DVD... the price seems pretty extortionate however, no matter how good the sat-nav system is.

ITs a fair price considering the volume of information on the disc ;) try to get it as part of the deal

Thanks for the info guys! I'm slightly confused - I'd always thought the screen was the same size for the CD/DVD versions - what can I do with a dual display mode? Have the map on part of it, what can I have on the rest? Menu..?

Phil - any chance you'd be able to check sometime whether the DVD you have includes countries other than France/Germany?

Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated!

Hope to pick up an IS200 sometime this week! Would ideally have been Granite Grey, but I think I can live with Astral Black...

According to the manual for my SatNav, any of the following areas can be selected when inputting destinations:

• Austria
  • Andorra
  • Belgium
  • Switzerland
  • Germany
  • Denmark
  • Spain
  • France
  • Liechtenstein
  • Great Britain
  • Italy
  • Luxembourg
  • Monaco
  • Netherlands
  • Portugal
  • San Marino
  • Sweden
  • Vatican City

The screen size difference isn't obvious until you see the units in operation. If you look at the photos from my car, you'll see that the screen pretty much takes up the whole width of the plastic unit. On a CD version, the screen is more square. (similar to watching a 4:3 program on a widescreen TV).

With the split screen mode, mine is set to show the layout of a road junction as I approch, but still give the overview of the map on the other side. When on a Motorway, half the screen is the map, and the other side is a list of upcoming service stations. It is also possible to have half map, half list of instructions.

Cheers

Phil

I am on my second IS with Nav. The first (X plate) was CD Rom my new one (53 Plate) is DVD.

Lexus do loan CD's, but make sure you speak to someone who knows what they are doing. Last year they lost my request. This year it arrived 6 weeks early. (it is advisable to book well in advance).

The newer DVD is better, quicker, pan european, though a little more complecated when setting up. That is due to the extra options.

It also has all these fancy calender and servicing options that I still haven't got round to setting up.

Only real critisism is that the graphic on the maps seems a little "blockier".

Thanks for the updates - glad that the DVD features more of Europe, and the split-screen seems pretty useful (i.e. the upcoming service stations feature). Must confess that I was ignorant as to the difference in screen size. The more robust controller is the icing on the cake really.

Cheers everybody :)

Yes the dashboard changed, a different material used and the dials slightly changed etc. There were also safety features added to the braking system and slight changes to the rear light cluster and front grille. The rear spoiler on the sport got an intergrated brake light.

This has a bit of info about the change:

http://www.lexus.co.uk/news.php?page=archi...2001&id=pricing