Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Off The Shelf Adaptor?

ok, i've seen some posts about people trying to use the satnav screen as a dvd player etc.

Is there an off the shelf adaptor to connect a laptop to the screen?

I've got a spare apple ibook which i'd like to connect in, because then i can play mp3's, games, dvd's etc etc!!

Or is it a case of wire my own in?

btw, are there spare RCA's on the back of the headunit?

hey man,

myself, brettster and cheekyfutch have carpc's.

cheekyfutch has a GS and he has integrated his via some kinda rca converter thing.

brettster did not have the sat nav so wasnt a problem for him.

I do have the say nav, and i am using a seperate 7" toushcreen for this.

in the furturt it would be nice to have the pc runningthrough the nav screen but also with the touchscreen.

i guess you would need input the pc signal in the same way as a dvd signal would integrate into the nav unit,,

not much help really..

you can buy just the touchscreen overlays to make any screen into a touch screen, the problem you will have using the nav screen is that it wont be a VGA input, so it will look quite blurred and hard to read small text. but the idea of built in sure looks better than my curent solution.

and you would be the first in this club to have a carmac

(mmmm caramac)

lol @ caramac..

my screen will be either going in a double din panel, and will fold out..

or it will go at 45 degree angle between the bottom of the stereo, over the fag lighter and stop at the top of the chrome gear stick area..

just a thought here....

has anyone considered replacing the standard satnav screen with a touchscreen one, so you have the best of both worlds, a multi-input touchscreen satnav system.

is this even mildly feasable or am i clutching at straws?

I really want to use the satnav screen!

yes, dpk has had it doen,, his old man did it for him,, he has the cd based system and had older gerneration stereo, his old man, roy sussed it in a couple of days..

However we couldnt suss mine out as i had the dvd based system and a newer stereo which had only one connector instead of 2 like deans.

i am working on a solution that would negate the need of extending the wires and relocating the stereo to the boot as it would seem the guys in the US have had to do..

as for replacing the oem IS nav screen with a TS, ,i rekcon the best bet would be to use one from the LS else you gota try and integrate the nav with a PC screen..

• 1 month later...

my satnav i sbust :( the laser is kaput and finding a replacement is proving tricky :(

my plan is to fit a computer/laptop into the car at the moment and watch dvd's etc.....

depends on how ambitious i get!

at the moment, i'm upgrading my comp for halflife 2, after that i'll be spending money on my car :)

Hmm.. missed this thread as I was on holiday. It is possible to fit a 7" touchscreen in the OEM nav housing though,,, this is what I want.. nav housing's a are so hard to get hold of.

Nick, if you check out www.is300.net, look under Mobiletronics, there is a sticky called Satnac Tidbits I think. You can read all about it there. They used a Farenheit screen, but I think the Lilliput & Xenarc touchscreens will fit in the Satnav housing.

Neil Clarke is looking into sourcing the satnav housing. Other alternative is to persuade SteveAudioX to sell a few of us the motorised unit he has which can be mounted in a regular JDM dash tray :)

The other option I have considered is putting the screen in place of the double din headunit, mounting my P9 underneath as its single din, and mounting the heated seat switches in a plate underneath.. I have a pic of it somewhere, a guy in the states did it!

I'm not sure I understand the satnav issues? Surely you can just use Destinator or similar and run Satnav on the PC..