Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Opinions Required!

Jan_

To cut a long story short - I had to get my door panel resprayed (IS 200 - Silver)...

I looked closely at the repair this morning and I could see the blending of the new paint (along the wing). Only in certain lighting conditions is this noticeable - my question is whether or not I should expect a perfect blend / match?

Before you ask the workshop an Insurance approved one and I didn't notice this when I picked it up yesterday because it was raining.

I've spoken to the workshop this morning and I'm taking it in again for them to look at. I would be interested in anyone else's opinion on this - to confirm if my expectations are too high or a case of poor workmanship?

True...

I went out to the car park to take a picture.... however in bright sunlight it's impossible to see the blend! I'll see what the workshop has to say because I definitely saw it this morning in overcast conditions.

I did however spot several blemishes in the paintwork - so I'll definitely take that up with them.

blending in? difference in colour shade u mean? if so then i wont be happy. i had bad experience with my mazda in the past, the off side rear panel got hit by a transit & when i got it back from repairs the colour was noticeably different shade, just by lookign at it let alone certain conditions. 1 part slightly lighter than the other. i just looked round places looking at cars people worked on & found one place i never looked back since. i even take my current lexus there that is silver, had the front bumper re sprayed due to someone ramming a shopping trolley into it at Tesco & section of paint gone from where the cat got hit but now the colour is perfect in all conditions.

B) my mate who sprays cars say silver is a pain to blend in, the only way to get it to look good is to paint the whole panel ie complete wing,complete door etc

hope it helps :winky:

i been told red is hardest to match up/blend in. my old car is red(just red) that had most of it re sprayed for many reasons than a scratch.mismatch colour was one of them. lots of bodyshops i enquired to said to me red was the hardest to match up. one 'professional'(if u call it that) bodyshop even said they didnt want to know. . depends where u take it to really but where i took my last car they had no trouble matching red up :D unlike the previous 2 i took it to(bad experience)

a way to seeing mismatch paint is at night under a lamp post & it does stand out i seen lots.

Took the car back to the workshop today.... sods law it was a really sunny so it was impossible to see the blend.

I will have to double check in the morning when it's not so bright to make sure I'm not seeing things (and take a picture if the camera can cope)!!!

Metalics are harder due to the way the metal particals lie........

red is difficult due to the fading process red goes through

white..isnt a problem :)

wonder how people match up one off custom flip paints that they claim are no longer made...........

• 3 weeks later...

Silvers are not that bad of a problem, If you have taken your car to a bodyshop and are paying top money, you should expect an invisible repair, unless they have told you otherwise before carrying out the repair. But to get a good match on these light metallics you do need to have a large area sprayed.

A bad blend will show in the sun or under forecourt lights, petrol stations,

Is your mind playing tricks with you, are you seeing things because YOU know the where the repair was?

If a few other people can also see the blend then the bodyshop will have to redo the job!

• 3 weeks later...

Silvers can be a real pain to blend and often there's more than one formula

for a particular shade. Some bodyshops who don't have their own mixing facilities, will just order paint to the code number and, if there are different formulations, just stick with 'No. 1'. Generally speaking they won't paint edge-to-edge (that is the whole panel) e.g. if it's a wing, then they would spray the wing and maybe blend into the door, or if it's a bonnet they'd do the bonnet and upper edge of the wings. If it's a couple of doors then they'd probably spray the whole side.

A lot of colours 'halo' but silver tends to be the worst, therefore a local repair is

a pain in the backside, though some silvers tend to blend in better than others.

A blend showing under street lights for example, doesn't mean a 'bad' blend.

Often this is simply due to using a different paint to the manufacturer. There are different pigmentations in different manufacturers tinters and they'll show up

differently under different lighting conditions.

Metallics/pearls in general can be difficult to blend and it is mainly because

of the metal flakes/mica particles falling differently to how the original paint was applied. Realistically, it's virtually impossible to spray at the same distance, pressure etc. that was applied in the factory.

Reds, I've not (touch wood) had a problem with.

Local repairs can work depending on which area of the car they are applied to.

Low down you can often get away with it and on contours such as bumper corners, then you don't get a problem. Large flat areas will show up more.

Overall a large contributory factor is also who is pulling the trigger on the spraygun

and even the best have off days and finally another thing to bear in mind is

that everybody sees colour differently, so what is perfectly good to one person

can stick out like a sore thumb to another.

:)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links