Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Req: Solicitor

Risky3301

what do you need to know about the act..

Mobile Tecommuication ref Nuisance calls by users with holding their phone number, there was a change in the ACT that came into effect late last year, The change effected how Land line/mobilephone companies handle withheld number information. I need a solicitor who knows about the ACT who can assist me in making my mobile phone operator give me the information on the user. It's all down to in legal jargen and a play with words and I'm not clever enough to take on a big mobile phone operator on my own.

The real :tsktsk: take is that I'm paying for some of calls when I'm working overseas and I don't appreciate being woken up at 3.30am in morning,

The only firm I've ever used in this sort of area in Manches who have offices in London and Oxford. My contact in the firm is a Rob Jonkheer based in Oxford - 01865-813608. He could tell you who would be best to advise on this sort of matter (my clients who've used them on these sort of areas have always spoken highly of them). If you do want to call him feel free to say I recommended them (Jonathan Russell of Critchleys).

nuisance phone calls come under the Malicious communications act, is also regarded as a form of harassment in extreme cases.

A crime report can be made under the malicious communications offence.

Police have training under the RIPA act, basically when speaking with the mobile phone operator and gaining details about the caller, justification has to be made that no intrusion of the callers human rights are being carried out, and that the request for caller information is wholly justified to prevent or detect crime.

Once the subject is found out, they can be warned by police against their calls/words over the phone, and advised not to repeat their conduct otherwise repeating the offence after a WARNING to CEASE would amount as Harassment and to commit a second offence, being a course of conduct complete knowing what they are doing is causing harassment/alarm/distress to the recipient, makes them liable to be arrested. This info from phone companies to police has been known to take up to half a year to get.

That is the criminal line of enquiries, but ther will be civil routes that you are obvoiusly looking at.

The only firm I've ever used in this sort of area in Manches who have offices in London and Oxford.  My contact in the firm is a Rob Jonkheer based in Oxford - 01865-813608.  He could tell you who would be best to advise on this sort of matter (my clients who've used them on these sort of areas have always spoken highly of them).  If you do want to call him feel free to say I recommended them (Jonathan Russell of Critchleys).

Thank you for the information Jonathan, I will give them a call tomorrow and ask there advice, just hope I don't have to go to there offices as none of their offices are local to me, with a bit of luck it can all be handled by phone, post and email.

nuisance phone calls come under the Malicious communications act, is also regarded as a form of harassment in extreme cases.

A crime report can be made under the malicious communications offence.

Police have training under the RIPA act, basically when speaking with the mobile phone operator and gaining details about the caller, justification has to be made that no intrusion of the callers human rights are being carried out, and that the request for caller information is wholly justified to prevent or detect crime.

Once the subject is found out, they can be warned by police against their calls/words over the phone, and advised not to repeat their conduct otherwise repeating the offence after a WARNING to CEASE would amount as Harassment and to commit a second offence, being a course of conduct complete knowing what they are doing is causing harassment/alarm/distress to the recipient, makes them liable to be arrested.  This info from phone companies to police has been known to take up to half a year to get.

That is the criminal line of enquiries, but ther will be civil routes that you are obvoiusly looking at.

Hi, Here lies my problem, I think I know the person who is making the calls and last thing I want is Mr Plod turning up on there door step, if I can confirm it's the person I know, it will all stop with one text message, it will be all over because the eliment of suprise will my mine. Just encase your thinking hello something dodgey going on here, you won't see a headline 'Man in Black Lexus Goes Mad' I like my freedom and IS200 to much to give it all up.

Thanks again guys for your help.

The only firm I've ever used in this sort of area in Manches who have offices in London and Oxford.  My contact in the firm is a Rob Jonkheer based in Oxford - 01865-813608.  He could tell you who would be best to advise on this sort of matter (my clients who've used them on these sort of areas have always spoken highly of them).  If you do want to call him feel free to say I recommended them (Jonathan Russell of Critchleys).

Thank you for the information Jonathan, I will give them a call tomorrow and ask there advice, just hope I don't have to go to there offices as none of their offices are local to me, with a bit of luck it can all be handled by phone, post and email.

If they dont answer...dont hassle them and dont withhold your number :D

I worked on police liasion at Vodafone many years ago, before we could give out any information we had to have a signed data protection document which was signed by a super intendant, and I guess it has got a lot stricter since then.

Mobile telephone company's don't just give out this information, you may find it cheaper to change your number and let all you contacts know.

Have you contacted your mobile supplier and advised them that you are getting these calls? they used to do number changes free of charge.

I worked on police liasion at Vodafone many years ago, before we could give out any information we had to have a signed data protection document which was signed by a super intendant, and I guess it has got a lot stricter since then.

Mobile telephone company's don't just give out this information, you may find it cheaper to change your number and let all you contacts know.

Looks like things have changed, I was with Vodaphone when the calls started and they did not want know, I have joined another network and they have been very helpful up to a point, they checked all the dates and times I had recieved the calls and they confirmed it was the same number and what network they were coming from, when I asked for number they refused.

Have you contacted your mobile supplier and advised them that you are getting these calls? they used to do number changes free of charge.

Yes that's right, why should I do this I've done nothing wrong and in the end they have won. I can't let that happen because they have done wrong and the law is protecting them this is another example of this country rules and laws which were set up by liberials to protect guilty not the innocent

Looks like things have changed, I was with Vodaphone when the calls started and they did not want know, I have joined another network and they have been very helpful up to a point, they checked all the dates and times I had recieved the calls and they confirmed it was the same number and what network they were coming from, when I asked for number they refused.

Yes that's right, why should I do this I've done nothing wrong and in the end they have won. I can't let that happen because they have done wrong and the law is protecting them this is another example of this country rules and laws which were set up by liberials to protect guilty not the innocent

:angry: now you can understand ( not that you didn't in the first place ) why the job we do is so hard when the law is written the way it is :iraqi-info-minister: at times it would be more fun whacking my head of a brick wall, than trying to obtain information under the data protection act.

my home phone rejects calls from calls with the number withheld with a message that they should redial without witholding their no not sure if it can be done with a mobile maybe worthwhile checking with your mobile supplier any genuine callers will just phone back bogus ones will be p*ssed they cant get to you