Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Future Of Motor Insurance

ifraz

Yes, interesting.

If I drive two miles in a year and pay them 58 pence, but am very unlucky and have to make a million pound claim, that money has to come from somewhere. So there will always be pressure to class more and more people as high mileage in order to cover it. This year if you do 15k (like I do) they might say that's high mileage, but next year they might say 12k is, and the year after 9k is. Depends on the actual money coming in versus claims.

Indeed, you might find that someone who does 40k a year on 99% motorways is way less likely to claim than someone who does 3k a year in commuter rush hour/schoolrun land. Should the first guy subsidise the second, which is what this will achieve?

Secondly, I've always been put off those pcp car purchases because I couldn't bear to be contantly thinking about my mileage (ooh no, we can't go to the seaside this weekend, it might roll us over my allocated mileage at the end of the year and cost me two hundred quid). This feels the same to me.

this was on breakfast this morning. mike rutherford correctly said that insurers wont bring in this sort of thing if it wasnt going to make them more money.

another good point raised was - would your insurance for a motorway trip become invalidated if you drove over the limit?