Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Poor Mpg!

BBO

Hi,

I own my IS200 for about 2 years now. In this period the average mpg has been about 22-23. I find this this very poor. However I do drive mostly short distances (7 to 8 miles) for 70% of the time, the rest is highways. Pedal to the metal? No not often, occasionally I accelarate as fast as i can to 100 mph.

Considering my style of driving do u think the 22-23 mpg is normal?

Each time I refuel I hear an airgasp (for about 2 seconds) when opening the gastank. As if my tank was in a vacum. Is this normal? Could this have something to do with the high fuel consumption?

Barry

The Netherlands

Yes, mpg can be quite poor - strange as the rest of Toyota's vvti engines are known for their economy. I find the IS200 mpg comparable with the Jaguar X-type 3.0 automatic which I would have thought is a much thirstier car.

The air gasp you hear before refuelling is completely normal.

• 9 months later...

just had an IS200 sport as loan car whilst mine was serviced. Only had 400 miles on the clock when I picked it up. Did 385 miles in it, mostly motorway, and the warning light still hadn't come on.

Youve got to consider that the IS200 is a fairly low powered saloon which is quite heavy. The engine therefore has to work harder. As said, for this reason, I would say an IS300 should be very similar MPG, or maybe better than the IS200, as ive heard a few owners comment on this.

Yesterday I made a 325 mile round trip to Japfest and got 26.4 mpg out of my IS300. 95% motorway miles, and I wasn't hanging around either (eh, DAZA W?) :D

Not so good around town/suburban though, only around 20mpg.

all i know is i have a brand new passat TD and that bugger does an average of 51mpg at the min!

And the lexus does at the most 80 miles to £20

When I first got my car, it was new so I expected the fuel economy to be a bit poor, but it scared me how bad it was :blink: , can't really complain now tho, cars done 1200 miles and it seems a lot better :) Seems pretty damn good on a run

I get about 30-31 mpg on my 04 IS200 auto on a mixture of A roads, motorway, and urban commuting. If mostly in town it drops to low 20's. On purely long runs it goes up a little but never more than 32 or so. I tried Optimax for 2500 miles but noticed no significant difference in fuel consumption, just a lighter wallet...

Yesterday I made a 325 mile round trip to Japfest and got 26.4 mpg out of my IS300. 95% motorway miles, and I wasn't hanging around either (eh, DAZA W?)  :D

Not so good around town/suburban though, only around 20mpg.

got to say he came flying past me in the fast lane (i am running my engine in 70mph :whistling: :winky: )

but for some mad reason i beat him there :blink: :D

back on topic i did 270 miles yesterday and came back with just under half a tank but was going 70mph mainly motorway

I recently drove from just outside of Brighton to Edinburgh 200se Auto went up in 11 hours (came back in 8)covered 494 miles tank full of Optimax got me 480miles thought this wasnt bad

My 3SGE averages 30.2 mpg with a std dev of 1.6 mpg. The average is across 27 fills. Typically 96 octane fuel, sometimes I use 98. Not enough data yet to say if there's a statistically significant difference between the fuel types.

i get about 280 miles out of one tank, sometimes more, sometimes less. i dont worry about mpg, i just fill her up when she's empty!

i get about 280 miles out of one tank, sometimes more, sometimes less. i dont worry about mpg, i just fill her up when she's empty!

Comparing how much people think they get per tank is pointless - not everyone runs their tanks down to the same level before they fill and not everyone fills their tank to the same level. These differences introduce significant error. I'm presenting my mpg figures because they actually have meaning and can be compared.

Trending fuel efficiency is also valuable for detection of a range of potential problems (e.g. an increasing trend could indicate an oxy sensor packing up and the car not entering closed loop fuel control mode)

Comparing how much people think they get per tank is pointless - not everyone runs their tanks down to the same level before they fill and not everyone fills their tank to the same level. These differences introduce significant error. I'm presenting my mpg figures because they actually have meaning and can be compared.

Trending fuel efficiency is also valuable for detection of a range of potential problems (e.g. an increasing trend could indicate an oxy sensor packing up and the car not entering closed loop fuel control mode)

i wouldnt say it was completely pointless but i do agree to a certain extent. im not bothered by the mpg, like i say i just fill her up when she's empty and on average over the last 2 1/2 years i've always achieved 280 miles per tank give or take 10 or 15 miles. i once managed over 400 miles on a very long motorway journey driving very conservatively but i bought the car because i like driving it! if i was bothered about mpg i would have gone for a diesel!!!

I have no idea what you'se are all doing - you must be driving like loons!!

Last time I checked I got 400 miles to my tank full - ok thats pretty casual driving, but 280 MILES TO THE TANK!!! *****......

Fill up until pump clicks off, zero the A or B counter on the dashboard, drive until next need petrol and fill until pump clicks off again. Note down the litres used from pump and miles from counter.

mpg = miles / litres * 4.55

Sorry if this is sad/obvious but jasestu's right - roughly how much we fill up is pretty vague. OK Taking geek hat off now :geek::tomato:

i get 350-400 miles per refil depending on how i drive (27-33mpg) this is in a manual though, auto's are typically 3-5mpg worse than a manual. I too get a massive vacuum build-up in the tank, which can't be good, this has been known to partially implode the tank on other marques reducing the tanks capacity.