Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Bay

SHAHZ

Don't know if Lexus can do it, but it's fairly easy to do yourself. Just wrap any sensitive spots like the electrics in clingfilm to protect them, spray some cleaner (Halfords do them so does Autoglym), agitate with a paintbrush, then spray with a hose or a jet wash (although latter I've always been a bit wary of as it's so powerful).

you'll be alright shahz, i sprayed my bay with gunk, then blasted it all off with a hose after agitating the dirt with an old brush. i didnt even cover the electrics up cos i forgot!!!!!!!

you'll be alright shahz, i sprayed my bay with gunk, then blasted it all off with a hose after agitating the dirt with an old brush. i didnt even cover the electrics up cos i forgot!!!!!!!

:lol::lol: Right will do...i think ill cover the bits though...what do i need to cover :question:

Lexus do not recommend the steam cleaning of engines. My first GS300 suffered from major misfires that were not even cured after new sparkies and drying all the connectors indoors-so I rejected the car in the end as nobody could fix it. My advice-shut the bonnet and spend all the time you would have spent cleaning the bit that is supposed to get dirty on polishing the outside bits that are meant to be kept clean. Or go down the pub and drink a coupe of pints of degreaser. Cleaning engine bays? What next? Stripping the rear axle and cleaning the diff?

Anything with wires stuck out of it!!

:lol::lol::lol:

i've also used one of those little steam cleaners on my engine, that works well too, borrowed it off me ma cos she went on a steam cleaning mission!

Can this be done at lexus dealerships....anyone know a rough cost :question:

spray it all with wd40 and good old elbow action works a treat,comes up lovely mate,mine is shining. :winky:

Besty so you dont wash it down with hose or pressure washer :question:

Can this be done at lexus dealerships....anyone know a rough cost :question:

spray it all with wd40 and good old elbow action works a treat,comes up lovely mate,mine is shining. :winky:

Besty so you dont wash it down with hose or pressure washer :question:

never mate,just get my hands dirty finding all those little places to clean,one its been done its easy after that. :)

• 1 month later...

I've done mine hundreds of times, best thing I find, is Use GUNK!! Make sure it's the foam version, spray a whole can round your engine bay and leave it on for a soak for about 5 mins,

Jet wash the GUNK of whilst the Engine is running!! as soon as it is all off, drive down the road at 80mph to dry it off for about 10 mins then when you get home spray WD40 everywhere, and this will make it nice and shiny and will also soak up any moisture that might cause problems!!

I've done it many times with no probs!!

Bison :zee:

Would never pressure wash my engine bay seen to many problems arise after people doing this.pressure washers are to powerfull and water will impregnate into the smallest holes ,If you have to do it use a steam cleaner and have it on very low power ,they do the job far better as it melts of the oil and grease although in my opinion a bit of oil and grease on your engine can do no harm other than offer protection from rust etc.

I've done mine hundreds of times, best thing I find, is Use GUNK!! Make sure it's the foam version, spray a whole can round your engine bay and leave it on for a soak for about 5 mins,

Jet wash the GUNK of whilst the Engine is running!! as soon as it is all off, drive down the road at 80mph to dry it off for about 10 mins then when you get home spray WD40 everywhere, and this will make it nice and shiny and will also soak up any moisture that might cause problems!!

I've done it many times with no probs!!

Bison :zee:

:P My variance on your scheme is that you need to be spraying that WD-40 all over the road behind you when you're doing that 80mph bit....to make the rozzers skid off the road who're chasing you! :winky:

• 1 year later...

I got mine done from a local car wash place!

Cover the sensitive electrics i.e alarm etc a tesco shopping bag will do!!

Let the engine cool down THIS IS A MUST!!

Spray with GUNK or any good cleaner and get it right in the engine bay!

Wait for about 5-10 mins!

Start the engine!

HOSE it off with a powerfull or good jetwash/hosepipe!!

You should not have any problems as thats what I did and the car was fine!